PDA

View Full Version : Color Filling Acrylic

Terry Swift
12-14-2010, 5:43 PM
All,

Found out today from a very knowledgeable Acrylic person that I had been doing color fill on acrylics all wrong. How you say? I had been using the method I had seen here on "The Creek" for colorizing virtually anything after being lasered. That was to mask the item, laser, paint, then remove tape. How time consuming and hard; as some of my projects (not just acrylics either) have a lot of detail and the tape pieces can be super small and are hard to remove without damaging the item or paint. The friend suggested and uses Oops Cleaner (not the water based kind) to clean the item before lasering, laser to specifications, spray paint (Krylon he said works best and I tend to agree - he uses the non Plastic type, as he said he hadn't gotten it to work for him in his mass production), let dry, then take a car type sanding block with paper towels as the pad, spray more Oops onto the paper towel, and wipe the item till clean on top. He showed me and it works. No more taping and all that time invested in that and cleanup. Hopefully no more paint peel, etc.

Just wanted to pass that on. Wished it worked on more stuff than acrylics; as taping and clean-up is such a chore that old way.

Barry Clark
12-14-2010, 6:16 PM
Sounds easy enough Terry. Soon as I get things back together I'm going to give that a shot.

Thanks

Larry Bratton
12-14-2010, 7:26 PM
Terry
Have you ever tried WD40 for the same process? It will also work. WD40 was originally developed as a cleaner and not for all the things it is used for today. It will work on wood too.

Bill Cunningham
12-14-2010, 10:22 PM
I thought the WD in WD40 was for 'water displacement' and probably formula #40..
But perhaps all companies don't number their formulas.. I sure wouldn't have wanted to the the 'tester' for Preparation A,B,C,D,E,F,or G :eek::D