PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Tracking Problems

Jon Agnew
12-14-2010, 4:56 PM
Hey, creekers.

I bought a Rikon 10" bandsaw (model 10-305) a couple of months ago to go in my VERY small shop. This is my first bandsaw. When I got it, I took a few hours to make sure everything was set up properly and, as a result, the saw cut like a champ. Today, I changed my 1/4" blade to a 1/8" for some tight curves I need to cut, and now I am having serious difficulties in trying to get the blade on properly. Basically, no matter what I do, I cannot get the tracking set right. If its fine on the bottom wheel, it crawls off the top wheel. If I get it set on the top wheel, it crawls off the bottom. Because of the design of this bandsaw, its impossible for me to check coplanar with a straight edge. I've done some searching and have read that this problem can be caused by worn tires...but considering I've bought this saw new less than 3 months ago, that seems like some seriously premature wear.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular bandsaw or any general tips or tricks I could try? I'm so frustrated with this thing right now, that I'm tempted to buy a bigger bandsaw just to cut up my little one. :mad:

glenn bradley
12-14-2010, 5:12 PM
It looks like part #55 in your manual's parts explosion section will allow the removal of the table/trunnion. That will allow you to check for co-planer. Since the 1/4" blade tracks like a champ I would suspect the blade before the saw. Lay the blade on it's back on a flat surface like the kitchen table (you can use your workbench, I was just trying to cause trouble). The back of the blade should lay flat on the table. If it holds itself up off the table or has to be forced into a shape other than round to get its back on the table, bad blade.

Bandsaw blades are welded and bad welds on off-the-shelf blades is not as uncommon as we might wish. If the blade check out, the removal of the table to check for coplaner doesn't look like a big deal. Tell us what you find and we can go from there. Let's remember that a 10" bandsaw is really a hobbyist sort of tool. Don't expect too much (but you can certainly expect it to track). I have read good reports of Rikon's customer support. I would not hesitate to call them either ;-)

Prashun Patel
12-14-2010, 5:28 PM
Dumb question alert: Are you backing your guides off when tracking the blade?

Jon Agnew
12-14-2010, 5:38 PM
Thanks for the response, Glenn.

I took the blade off and laid in on my kitchen floor (just kidding!)....on my bench, and it doesn't sit flat. It doesn't look like a taco shell or anything, but there are definitely several places that were off the bench about 1/16" or so. Is that enough variance to cause the problem? I'm not sure what the tolerance should be for a bandsaw blade.

As for removing the table and trunnion, it is easy to do, but the wheels are inset in the body, so even with the table gone, I can only make contact with one point on one wheel, not four points on two wheels. Like you said, the 10" is more of a hobbyist tool, so I'm not surprised.

I will say, in defense of hobbyist tools, that, prior to today's little nightmare, I have been very impressed with this saw's performance. I think the key is just to understand and acknowledge what the tool can and cannot do. And to understand that when pushing the limits of what it CAN do, you just have to take it a little slower. I've resawed 4 1/2" hard maple with impressive results...it just took forever....like 5 minutes/ft. HA!

Jon Agnew
12-14-2010, 5:40 PM
Dumb question alert: Are you backing your guides off when tracking the blade?

Yes, I am. Thanks for the dummy check though. :)