PDA

View Full Version : Antique safe

Walter Plummer
12-14-2010, 3:50 PM
My father passed away and now I am dealing with the estate. There is an old safe in the basement. We have the combination and it works. Does anyone here collect and or refurbish old safes? My internet searches did not find much. I know there is some demand for them. I am torn between wanting to restore it and getting rid of it to the fist person who is willing to muscle it out. Help and/or advice please. The safe is currently in Southern Maryland, so I am interested in resources in the D.C. metro area. Thanks

Mike Davis NC
12-14-2010, 3:57 PM
What size is it? H x W x D

Walter Plummer
12-14-2010, 6:38 PM
Sorry, single door, 33"H x 23"W x 22"D - 6" wheels. Diebold Safe & Lock. PAT.MAY 28 1871. Three spaces for drawers on left. One drawer. A painted metal locking door above with a drawer behind. One tall space on left side. Interior painted green.

Jim Koepke
12-15-2010, 2:32 AM
Wish I lived somewhere close. I do not collect, but they are always a good thing to have to keep papers or other items. My current fire safe is pretty full.

You could likely sell it via Craigs list and get a few hundred. Also you might try talking to coin and gun dealers. They have a lot of things they would like to keep in a safe.

jtk

Greg Portland
12-15-2010, 2:09 PM
A Google search yielded this website: http://www.theantiquesafecollector.com/

There is a "Sell your safe" section that shows prices for various options... that might give you an idea as to the value of what you have.

Sean Troy
12-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Call "The Pickers"