PDA

View Full Version : Face Frames and Plywood. How to join without sanding through plywood.

Galen Nagen
12-14-2010, 2:35 PM
Real beginner question. I went to make up a cabinet with a face frame and plywood. The face frame was a little proud of the plywood. I tried to sand them flush and sanded though the plywood veneer. Must be a good way to do this. Any one mine sharing their procedures? Also, how long should the face frames be clamped to the plywood and how should I deal with glue squeeze out.

Thanks

GN

Craig Michael
12-14-2010, 2:55 PM
Leaving it a bit proud is acceptable and you can use a flush trim router bit to match them up afterwards. For glue ups, it depends on the specifics but definitely in excess of 30 minutes. I usually just leave it for an hour or so and do something else during that time. What glue are you using? I use Titebond II and clean that up with a damp cloth and toothbrush.

Mark Henshaw
12-14-2010, 3:00 PM
Galen,
I will typically allow for a 1/16" -1/8" overhang on each side. Clamp the faceframe to the box with clamps every 18-24 inches. I will clean up the glue squeeze out as soon as it starts to set up, usually within 1 hour. Let the clamps stay on for 2 - 4 hours at a minimum and overnight if possible. Clean up the overhang with a bottom bearing flush trimming bit. This will allow the bearing to ride on the plywood and cut the faceframe evenly with the side of the box. A very light sanding will finish the job.

Galen Nagen
12-14-2010, 6:16 PM
Thanks for the help.

Galen