PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Code on Creations?

Belinda Barfield
12-14-2010, 9:57 AM
After reading about the "hidden code" in the Mona Lisa I started wondering about something.

Do any of you place a hidden mark, or something similar that only you know about, on the pieces you make? Of course, if you tell us then it won't be a secret any more . . . didn't think about that. :rolleyes:

John Pratt
12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
How about I just say, "Yes". That will eliminate the secret code/marking getting out.

Charles Goodnight
12-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Did it once in a paper I wrote. We had to respond to a paper criticizing our research, so we were angry about it. The first letter of each paragraph, when arranged in order spelled out "We would rather be in the lab"

glenn bradley
12-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Did it once in a paper I wrote. We had to respond to a paper criticizing our research, so we were angry about it. The first letter of each paragraph, when arranged in order spelled out "We would rather be in the lab"

I like the way Charles thinks ;-) Oh, and no on the secret mark but, it is an idea.

Jerome Stanek
12-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Where I work sometimes we hide our initials in the work. Like when we do brushed aluminum or on the bottom of some columns. X mark mower has mine and the welders on the bottom of their trade show display.

Lee Schierer
12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Why be secret about it. If I make something I'm proud of, I'll put my name on it...

Jerome Hanby
12-14-2010, 1:02 PM
All of my pieces have my signature characteristics, poor finish and ill fitting joinery:D

Rick Moyer
12-14-2010, 3:23 PM
I don't even remember to put any marking on stuff about half the time. Someday somebody may wonder "where did we get this?". Oh well.

Bryan Morgan
12-14-2010, 4:38 PM
I used to work with high resolution images in photo and graphics and I'd put things in the work.... I type messages a few shades away from something and put the message right in the middle of the image. I would most often type the secret message around people's irisis. Theres a decent variation of color there so its easy to hide, still plain as day if you know what to look for. :)

John Coloccia
12-14-2010, 5:42 PM
I'm pretty sure there's blood somewhere on nearly everything I make. On pieces that require superglue, there's a good chance of finding a particularly well preserved fingerprint as well.

Dan Hintz
12-14-2010, 5:48 PM
I used to work with high resolution images in photo and graphics and I'd put things in the work.... I type messages a few shades away from something and put the message right in the middle of the image. I would most often type the secret message around people's irisis. Theres a decent variation of color there so its easy to hide, still plain as day if you know what to look for. :)
My thesis research was in wavelet-based watermarking of digital images (imperceptible)... you bet your sweet bippy the things I do are marked. I can prove in a court of law the images that come out of my computer were created on a specific date/time by me. The only way to get rid of the mark is to destroy the image so badly no one would want it (and even then I can often get the info back).

Bill Leonard
12-15-2010, 7:49 AM
I'm pretty sure there's blood somewhere on nearly everything I make. On pieces that require superglue, there's a good chance of finding a particularly well preserved fingerprint as well.
I'm with John with this one. I seem to have a habit of leaving my DNA on each and every project. Not planned, but executed with regularity.

Chuck Saunders
12-15-2010, 8:24 AM
My secret mark is a tight flush joint. You will have to spend a lot of time looking to ever find it.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2010, 8:36 AM
Nothing like DNA to mark your territory

Bill Huber
12-15-2010, 9:30 AM
I leave secret marks on my stuff all the time, I just do it with sand paper, then when the finish goes on you can see them. No one knows what they mean but me.

I do keep a log on each project so maybe some day historians will find the log and then decrypt what I have left in my work.