PDA

View Full Version : Insights on Multi-Tools?

Russ Filtz
12-14-2010, 9:04 AM
Thinking of getting one for my brother (works construction). He tends to go relatively cheap (Craftsman) on power tools and wants one of their multi-tools like this.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917438000P?mv=rr

Any other "better" brands to look at (within price reason!). Saw this on Amazon (and at Lowe's i believe). Rockwell.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK2514K2-12-Volt-LithiumTech-Sonicrafter/dp/B003P9WJLQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1292335443&sr=8-11

I know Fein makes one, but we're talking $400 range there!

ian maybury
12-14-2010, 9:31 AM
Mine is Fein bought on feedback from various forums - I'd never used one. Amazed at some of the unique stuff it can do with good blades in. Plunge cutting is the big extra for me.

My thought would just be to be a little cautious of the cheaper models - to do your homework (as you are). They may be fine (although the examples I've seen are very bulky by comparison), but the high speed reciprocating action that's key to the Fein's effectiveness is surely very hard on both tooling and internals. Meaning that small deficiencies in materials and heat treatment could possibly result in very rapid wear....

Mark Henshaw
12-14-2010, 9:49 AM
Russ,
I too have the Fein and feel that it is worth the money. I purchased it after originally buying the Rockwell model at Menards. I was using it to plunge cut into oak flooring. The Rockwell unit would cut about half way through the board and then bog down and quit cutting. After a frustrating weekend, I returned it and purchased the Fein. Truely a world of difference.
I believe it will depend on what your brother will be using the tool for. I believe any of these will perform fine for sanding and plunge cutting drywall or pvc pipe.

Chris Tsutsui
12-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Fein I thought was the original model and considered the cream of the crop. Now every brand has their own version so I just went with the cheapest because I thought I wouldn't use it much... I was sort of part wrong on that because i do use it more than I thought I would.

I have the $30 harbor freight model and can provide you with some insight.

Comes with a concave copper washer that prevents the bit from coming loose. Tighten it down firm and your bits will stay put.

If you turn the unit on and nothing happens, turn the switch to the "on' position and give the head a tap or a whack and it should turn on. :D

With that out of the way, it'll work great and I used it to scrape glue off a large cement slab until the metal gear housing became hot to touch. I thought it would quit but it didn't. I also used it to trim drywall to be flush with a door opening and flush cut 2x4s. Another use is plunge cut copper pipe in a wall, trim shims and mdf moulding.

It might not cut thick hardwoods or steel but for the money, it has already paid for itself in the time it has saved and I have not seen the need to give in and buy the Fein tool.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-14-2010, 3:29 PM
My $0.02 is that you pay for what you get. I played with the Fein at the local candy store. It is most impressive. I have the cordless Bosch. I got it because it is cordless. There is really no comparison....... If he's in construction, it would be well worth the investment to get the Fein. Toolless blade change out. Power.

Tom Hargrove
12-14-2010, 4:51 PM
Fein was the original tool of this type. I understand that Fein's patents recently expired, and this brought the flood of copy cat tools into the market. I have used the Fein tool extensively, and really like it.

I have given up on anything with with a cord or battery that bears the Sears/Craftsman name. Perhaps for light homeowner duty, but nothing more.

In addition to the Harbor Freight model mentioned, others, such as Bosch, make competing tools in both corded and cordless versions.

Matt Meiser
12-14-2010, 5:51 PM
My contractor friend swears by his Fein. I bought a Rockwell and for occasional use its been great but I can't comment on long-term. If the Bosch corded one had been out when I bought mine, that's what I would have bought from the standpoint of being happy with other Bosch tools. I didn't want their battery powered one despite having a bunch of the batteries because the review on battery life weren't great. One of the carpenters working on my parents' kitchen had a Dremel and he told my dad while it worked fine, he wouldn't buy it again because he didn't think it was going to last.

Leo Vogel
12-14-2010, 9:21 PM
Nobody loves tools more than me. About a year ago, I bought a HF multi tool. I had no idea what I would use it for, but for the low price I thought I would give it a try. I no longer do construction work or house remodeling, just woodworking. I have yet to find a use for this tool. I have used it for cutting off dowels a few times, but I can do it quicker and cleaner with a hand saw. Thank God I did not spend more than $39 for this tool. The only reason I keep it is some day I may have to do some tile work and I may be able to use it then. I have lots of fishing lures than have never caught a fish too.

Will Overton
12-14-2010, 9:35 PM
The Fein is available for $200. The other $200 is for extra accessories in the TOP KIT.

http://www.amazon.com/Fein-FMM-250Q-Select-Variable-Speed/dp/B000U8W4VU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=power-hand-tools&qid=1292380349&sr=1-1

Matt Meiser
12-14-2010, 9:45 PM
I no longer do construction work or house remodeling, just woodworking. I have yet to find a use for this tool.

Yes, its more of a construction or especially remodeling tool. Maybe with a sanding pad, but most small corners I just do by hand because it takes less time than dragging out a power tool.

Tom Ewell
12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Russ

If your bro is into remodeling, flooring, trimout etc. and intends to use it on the job then I'd recommend the Fein.

Check around.... there is a 250q basic model for around $269 and a $50 rebate is currently available until Dec 27.

Let him collect the accessories (blades, scrapers, etc.) as he needs them and expense it to job cost.

You'll pay a little over $200 and he'll get a quality tool.

PS. Just make sure you apply for the rebate before gifting the thing.

Dan Rude
12-14-2010, 10:56 PM
I bought the Craftsman, at the time I was looking at price and the deal with the club. I had used the Rockwell for a short time before, and like it to. The Craftsman has dust collection that I liked it isn't great but helps. I just ordered the free universal adapter from Bosch that was in PW this month. The other chocies are the cordless ones from Ridgid multihead, Milw and Bosch. Over all a great tool, its done things I couldn't do with a jig saw and a drill in some brittle plastic.

george wilson
12-14-2010, 11:00 PM
I have the Fein. I DOUBY that cheaper versions can stand the very high speed for nearly as long. I'd not buy a cheaper version. I have made my own scraper and saw blades out of saw blade spring steel. The scraper I made,and brazed on a wide piece of carbide. It will actually peel steel off of the sheet metal on machine tools if you aren't careful. I used it when I was refinishing my Hardinge HLVH metal lathe,and needed something TOUGH to scrape out the chip pan of the lathe.

John M. Johnson
12-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I too have the HF version. I bought it just to test out the theory. I love it! I bought it about 2 years ago and shortly after hoped that it would die so that I could buy a more professional version. No luck. For me it is one of those HF tools that just will not die (1 in a million). The nice thing is that I have the old version that will accept better quality blades from bosch and others (the newer models are keyed and it is a bit more difficult to adapt other brands). The only thing I have done is attach (ghetto) a dimmer switch to the cord so that I can slow it down when removing things like grout or caulk.

When this one dies, I will not think twice about buying a Fein or a Bosch (being able to buy blades at Lowes is a plus).

raul segura
12-15-2010, 3:13 AM
H.P Ill get another two if it breaks.
I wouldn't spend over 150.00 on this tool other than to have variable speed. Its very nice and has gotten me out of several situations saving me many hours, but its not one I need all the time. Id spend my cash on some other tool. I figure the higher priced ones reflect the idea,"patent". I'm sure they last longer,variable speed, batteries etc. With that said I have a feeling the cut isn't much more superior on the higher end ones ????
I have three grinders Makita, Dewalt and Black-Decker. I use the last one like there is no tomorrow ($25.00) and its still kicking around. Other than oscilating the multi remind me much of a grinder with retrofit head.
I don't depend on my tools to make a living so perhaps I would think different then.

Scott Vigder
12-15-2010, 5:32 AM
I bought the Craftsman model due to its relatively cheap price and convenience to local Sears brick n mortar. The tool died in less than 18 minutes of light use. The replacement lasted a bit longer, about 26 minutes. I now have the Fein, which is a much more robust tool. I have other Craftsman products that work fine, but this dog won't hunt. I can't ever remember regretting purchasing a top-of-the-line tool.

Rich Engelhardt
12-15-2010, 7:22 AM
Insights on Multi-Tools?

Thinking of getting one for my brother (works construction).

Construction use? Hundreds of them.
He works construction?
The Fein will come with an undisclosed feature. It has itty bitty little legs that allow it to
"walk away" whenever it's owner (on a construction site) isn't looking.
It's almost a sure bet that an expensive tool like the Fein is going to come up missing on a job site.

Get him the Craftsman or Rockwell or HF & if he likes it enough, let him get his own Fein.

I love my HF one - so much so that I bought a 2nd one.
I also have the Dremel. Not that it's a waste of money or anything, but, it's not as useable as the HF.

frank shic
12-15-2010, 8:58 AM
bought a fein off of a fellow creeker a few years ago and absolutely love it but i'm sure the clones that you mentioned work fairly well unless your brother is planning on making deep plunge cuts into hardwood flooring.

Jim gormley
12-15-2010, 2:42 PM
The fein machine definetly cant be beat, the only downside is the price of the blades

Doug Carpenter
12-15-2010, 3:13 PM
I bought the bosch cordless. It works well but the batteries don't last long. The kicker is that some things are just way easier if you are cordless. One thing I love it for is cutting a vent though a roof from the attic. The last thing you want to do is drag a cord up with you.

I really like the convience of the cordless even though the batteries aren't great. for me it is something I use when I am in a jamb instead of something I use for hours on end. If I were to buy a corded one I thing for the money I would get the rockwell.

also I saw the other day that Rigid makes one that has other accessory heads you can buy for $50 each. Like and angle drill or a impact nailer. Plus rigid has a liftime warranty on their batteries. Maybe the whole tool. I personally would love to get that baby for christmas.

Russ Filtz
12-15-2010, 4:51 PM
The Fein will come with an undisclosed feature. It has itty bitty little legs that allow it to
"walk away" whenever it's owner (on a construction site) isn't looking.
It's almost a sure bet that an expensive tool like the Fein is going to come up missing on a job site.

Definitely a concern. He has had tools ripped off before. I decided on the Rockwell. The loaded kit cost almost as much as the bare Fein. Hopefully it won't be as big a target for thieves.

Doug Carpenter
12-15-2010, 4:54 PM
I think that is a good option. He will like it.

Anthony Whitesell
12-15-2010, 8:45 PM
Since I began to work more ardently in woodworking, I have seriously come to understand the saying "the right tool for the job makes all the difference". I borrowed my fathers Fein for some work in the bathroom, including removing old sheet flooring and cutting a square hole in the bathroom closet for a laundry chute. The right tool for the job. Besides those two uses and some other detail sanding, together my father and I haven't used it often enough to get it scratched.

As for which one to get, I would try to find out which one can use whose blades. I run into the single-source issue too often. If they stop making replacements or they go on back order you're toast. So I would opt for which ever one has a second source.