PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee to the Phillies!

dennis thompson
12-14-2010, 6:58 AM
Cliff Lee goes to the Phillies! I hadn't even heard they were in the mix. What a pitching rotation they will have, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels, Halladay, good news for you Philly fans, bad news for me as a Mets fan, but then again, as a Mets fan I'm getting used to bad news.

Joe Pelonio
12-14-2010, 7:52 AM
Any time a player of that caliber passes on the Yankees, it's a great day!

Joe Leigh
12-14-2010, 9:13 AM
Really Joe? Why is that?

David Weaver
12-14-2010, 9:19 AM
Saw that this morning, it's a downer to a yankee fan (disregard my location, there isn't actually baseball in Pittsburgh, regardless what the team listings and standings say).

The yanks are going to have to scramble to pick up a second tier pitcher, and hopefully not give away too much to get one. Going to be a tough year.

Ought to be an easy year for the Phillies, but it's not a foregone conclusion yet. Pitchers get injured a lot, and if two of those guys go down, all of the sudden, the season changes. Hamels isn't great every year, Doc isn't young, and Lee missed time last year. That's what I saw as the risk of the yankees taking lee - they're old enough and there's no guarantee he'll last long. The yanks already extended jeter, which as much as fans like him in NY, I don't think he wins games on the field any longer. Helps in the clubhouse maybe, but his bat gets a little slower every year and he has more and more trouble against decent pitching.

Joe - still smarting from the year the mariners set the win % record just to be knocked out in the playoffs by the yankees?

David Helm
12-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Really Joe? Why is that?

Because people outside of NY don't like the Yankees. I've hated them since 1948 and can't see any reason to stop.

Garrett Ellis
12-14-2010, 1:05 PM
Because people outside of NY don't like the Yankees. I've hated them since 1948 and can't see any reason to stop.

:D

(wishing he had stayed with the rangers)

Rick Moyer
12-14-2010, 3:16 PM
Lifelong Phillies fan, been to Connie Mac, Veterans Stadium, and CBP. Plus I'm also a Red Sox fan, so this was a double bonus (not signing with the Yankees)! David is right about no gaurantees, especially with last year's generally poor hitting, but man, what a starting rotation on paper. Course they'll all have to pitch eight innings as we have no bullpen! I'm hoping for 100 wins. I think the Phillies must have been paying attention to the Braves all those years when the Braves were winning the division.
Dennis, I know some Mets fans and I feel sorry for them (a little). I would expect better of them, too.
David, I'm also a Vikings fan, but I am seriously ready to give up on them and join the Black and Gold!

Joe Leigh
12-14-2010, 5:08 PM

Interesting, seeing as how the question was not directed at you. You're speaking for everyone in the remaining 49 states?
Is there even a relevant professional sporting franchise in Washington? Enlighten us.

Robert LaPlaca
12-14-2010, 5:15 PM
Cliff Lee goes to the Phillies! I hadn't even heard they were in the mix. What a pitching rotation they will have, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels, Halladay, good news for you Philly fans, bad news for me as a Mets fan, but then again, as a Mets fan I'm getting used to bad news.

Amen brother, Amen

David Weaver
12-14-2010, 5:28 PM
Plenty of yankee fans in pennsylvania. Lots of folks who grew up in the '50s in the north central, south central or north eastern part of the state and have no identification with the phillies or pirates.

There are a surprising number of pirates fans here, but most are older, and they don't have any expectations. They're living on fumes.

Rick, welcome to the club. I'm sure every city feels this way about their football team, but I'll say this - there are no fans more loyal, crazed and motivated than steeler fans. I never saw anything like it until I moved here.

I'm a giants fan. Kind of out of place here, grew up in central PA as a giants and yankees fan. It's nice not to be a steelers fan, then when the rest of the world (seems like it) here is down after a steelers loss, I'm immune to the sadness. I like the steelers OK, but mostly because I despise the ravens.

Glenn Clabo
12-14-2010, 5:41 PM
Can I hear an Amen?

Rob Bodenschatz
12-14-2010, 6:03 PM
Really Joe? Why is that?

Interesting, seeing as how the question was not directed at you. You're speaking for everyone in the remaining 49 states?
Is there even a relevant professional sporting franchise in Washington? Enlighten us.

Looks like you answered your own question. :rolleyes:

Joe Leigh
12-14-2010, 6:48 PM
Looks like you answered your own question. :rolleyes:

Actually there were three questions. I was hoping for an interesting conversation. Thanks for confirmation to the contrary.

Scott Donley
12-14-2010, 7:43 PM
Is there even a relevant professional sporting franchise in Washington? Enlighten us.The Storm !