PDA

View Full Version : CA for Cuts

Mike Peace
12-13-2010, 11:54 PM
I saw an interesting tip in a woodworking magazine - don't remember which one. I was aware of the advantages of using CA for small cuts but never realized how you are supposed to do it. Turns out you don't put it in the cut but pinch the cut together and put the CA ACROSS the cut like a butterfly bandaid or stictches to keep it closed! So if your cut is the dashes, the vertical lines represent the CA. --|--|--|--

Maybe I am not the only one that did not know this?

P.S. Don't use accelerator!

Baxter Smith
12-14-2010, 12:05 AM
You aren't. Thick, thin, or medium?:D

Don Alexander
12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
if i'm needing to use CA for that purpose i'm not gonna be too picky about which on i grab first hehe its gonna be whichever version i get to first

Alan Trout
12-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Yep I have fixed some pretty serious wounds with that method. I use thin because is cures quickly. If there is to much blood it does not always work. I ran a razor sharp skew about 1/4" deep and about 3/4" long into a finger one night doing a Skew demo for my club. Nothing short of a tourniquet stop that one. I bleed like a stuck pig.

Great thing to know, just in case.

Alan

Peter Clark
12-14-2010, 2:18 AM
I suppose it doesn't sting so much doing it like stitches:eek:
Good tip! Thanks

Anthony Welch
12-14-2010, 5:33 AM
ER's use a product called Dermabond. It is sterile CA glue. It's not used at joints or close to the eyes,as the constant bending
will keep opening the wound up. I'm not advocating that anyone use CA glue to close their wounds, because
if the wound is not properly cleaned and you close it, the wound will become infected. That being said,
I've closed a couple of minor wounds on myself, after throughly cleaning the wound of course.

Fred Belknap
12-14-2010, 6:46 AM
t
but pinch the cutogether and put the CA ACROSS the cut like a butterfly bandaid or stictches to keep it closed! So if your cut is the dashes, the vertical lines represent the CA. --|--|--|--[/SIZE][/FONT]

Good info but that would require at least three hands. I guess you could put your finger in a vise.

Maybe I am not the only one that did not know this?

P.S. Don't use accelerator![/QUOTE]

Trevor Walsh
12-14-2010, 8:20 AM
I've used CA to close a cut, some CA got into the cut, it stings.

Wally Dickerman
12-14-2010, 9:20 AM
Medium CA is also very good for repairing a torn fingernail or toenail.

Wally

Joe Herrmann
12-14-2010, 9:37 AM
Black pepper sprinkled on the wound will stop the bleeding too and it DOESN'T burn.

Joe

Jim Burr
12-14-2010, 10:47 AM
We use a catalyst for the CA used in ER. Normal CA won't stick to anything wet. I run it parallel to the wound on both sides and then squeeze the skin together. If that doesn't work...Lidocaine and a skin stapler never fails!

Fred Perreault
12-14-2010, 8:02 PM
The first time I had major lumbar surgery in 2003 (L3, 4, &5) they held the 6" gash closed with staples. Very uncomfortable for 10 days. A repeat procedure 2 years later by another surgeon was held together with CA (Dermabond?). I could shower immediately, and it was much more comfortable. After 8-10 days, the Dermabond just wore off and all has been well. I now use Ca glue for all kinds of neat stuff, but it is particularly helpful with the turning projects. It makes it possible to use wood that might be otherwise unsafe or unusable.

Jim Underwood
12-14-2010, 8:10 PM
Medium CA is also very good for repairing a torn fingernail or toenail.

Wally

Yep. I've done that a time or two...

Thomas Canfield
12-14-2010, 10:11 PM
CA does works well to stop the blood flow for me on small cuts and scrapes. My skin is thin and often "peels" when bumped against a corner. Taking a baby asprin every other day make for good bleeding also. So far, I have never found a Dr or ER person that recommends using CA, but Thin CA does work well for me. A big concern as mentioned earlier is trapping dirt or trash in the cut and that needs to be taken into account when dressing any wound.