PDA

View Full Version : Shop heater

Jason Adkins
12-13-2010, 11:34 PM
The previous owner of my house piped gas lines into the garage/workshop. not sure what he used them for but i would like to use them for heat. I need something that will heat the garage up fairly quickly and only when im out there. i dont want anything permanently mounted, id like to be able to hook it up and unhook it and move it to another area of the shop. what kind of heater should I be looking for? The garage/shop is a single car and another section about half that size

Don Alexander
12-14-2010, 8:02 PM
hooking and unhooking a natural gas anything in an enclosed space sounds like a poor idea at best

you also need to be careful with gas heat in a workshop as there are fumes off of some things that don't react well with that and you donot want to find that out the hard way

George Bregar
12-15-2010, 9:35 AM
1 think the reason that there are 17 views and one reply is that the post is confusing. You want a heater that will bring the shop temp up quickly...but also be movable around the shop? This seems contrary. Especially in a small garage shop. :confused:

Jason Adkins
12-23-2010, 7:12 PM
my work area is divided into 2 areas. id like to be able to move the heat source between the 2 depending on where im working. I have permanent gas lines run in the garage. Im looking for something i can hook up to those lines, maybe with a hose like you do with a gas grill??? Maybe Im not describing it well

Rick Potter
12-24-2010, 3:20 AM
If I understand correctly, you are describing an unvented gas space heater. Bad choice. Around this time of year there are usually news reports of families found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. Try an electric space heater for the area you describe.

Rick Potter

Dave Wagner
12-24-2010, 7:43 AM
Gas lines? If there are 2 of them, maybe they are hot water lines from your boiler (if you have one?) Supply and return? Maybe they had a small like Modine hot water heater with a blower...? Just going out on a limb here.