PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatic sanding drum for spare motor

Mike Cruz
12-13-2010, 10:53 PM
A while back (year or so), while pimping up some of my machines, I ended up with two extra motors. A 1.5 hp and a 3/4 hp. The 1.5 ended up as a 12" disc sander (easy enough, just stuck the disc on the shaft), and the 3/4 hp ended up with a drum sander on it. It was a unit that I picked up off Ebay. Sounded like a great idea, but turned out kinda, well, eh... The idea of it is that you put an arm on the end of your motor shaft, then a medium density foam drum goes over that, and a sanding sleeve last. Again, in threory, great idea...any motor can become a drum sander. However, in practice, it leaves a lot to be desired. When the temp changes, the foam reacts...shrinks, etc. So the sleeve fits loosely sometimes, not others. For anyone that has ever used a drum sander, you know that if you push your material on the right side, the sleeve wants to shift left and vice versa. I could probably deal with this, but the foam is slightly out of round, so you can really only use the drum on the one side, then you try to move it over and it bounces...eh, just a pain.

So, what I would like to do is find a pneumatic drum to fit onto my motor's 5/8 shaft. Easier said than done! Most drums have 1" bores. So all I need is a 5/8 to 1" bushing, right. Yeah, right. Even the places that sell the drums don't have conversion kits. I've thought of having someone weld on a 1" extension, but it would have to be perfect for it to work...not too likely.

So, any ideas?

Jack Pinkham
12-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Dynabrade makes Dynacushion wheels with 5/8"-11 thread. I have one fitted to a Baldor grinder. I use Scotch-Brite belts in different grits. Every so often it requires a little air.

http://www.dynabrade.com/dyn10/content.php?page=catalog

Mike Cruz
12-14-2010, 5:13 AM
Thanks, Jack. Would you mind posting a pic or two showing what yours looks like? I just went to the site and either their site is having issues, or my computer doesn't like their format. I couldn't get pics for any of their products. And when I clicked on the specs tabs, I kept getting "errors". Not sure how a threaded wheel would fit onto a non threaded shaft. But maybe I could just get a bushing or adapter.

Jack Pinkham
12-14-2010, 9:36 AM
The web site is working now. Go to the specification tab for details on each wheel.
My wheel uses 3-1/2" x 15-1/2" belts. The ScotchBrite belts are not cheap at retail. I got a box of surplus belts from EBAY for a very good price.

http://www.dynabrade.com/pdf/ppg/PD08.35.pdf