PDA

View Full Version : Overwinter Storeage

greg a bender
12-13-2010, 8:28 PM
So, the weather here in NJ is starting to close in on me. Even with full insulation it's starting to get to blasted cold to work in my shop (with or without Jammie's:)).
I've got a bunch of new cast iron tools that I don't want the New Jersey Rust Devils to get to. Other than a good coating of Johnston's Paste wax, is there any thing else I can / should do to avoid a nasty surprise in the spring?

Thanks,

Greg A.

Peter Stahl
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
When I had tools in a unheated garage I used to throw blankets or towels on them and never had a problem with rust.

cecil dean
12-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Just be sure NOT to use some type of plastic cover. Needs to be breathable, canvas, moving blankets, etc.
Cecil

Matt Meiser
12-14-2010, 7:56 AM
If you are storing them and not using them, then consider spraying each surface with a coat of Boeshield and not wiping it off. The oily film will dry and protect the surface. When we moved 7 years ago I did this with all my tools while they were in a storage unit for a few months. More recently I did it to a set of freshly turned brake rotors for my wife's car which still look fresh after sitting in the garage for almost almost 2 years. If you plan to use them of course that won't work.

For general protection, Johnson's is exactly what I use. Helps wood slide on the tables better too.

Rick Moyer
12-14-2010, 4:01 PM
If you are storing them and not using them, then consider spraying each surface with a coat of Boeshield and not wiping it off. The oily film will dry and protect the surface. When we moved 7 years ago I did this with all my tools while they were in a storage unit for a few months. More recently I did it to a set of freshly turned brake rotors for my wife's car which still look fresh after sitting in the garage for almost almost 2 years. If you plan to use them of course that won't work.

For general protection, Johnson's is exactly what I use. Helps wood slide on the tables better too.

I'm assuming these rotors were not on the car, and were cleaned prior to installing?

Matt Meiser
12-14-2010, 4:12 PM
I'm assuming these rotors were not on the car, and were cleaned prior to installing?

Why, is that a problem? :)

Sorry, I forgot to say they've been sitting on a shelf in the garage for when the car needs them. I bought new rotors and then took the old ones to be turned later since they weren't terribly expensive and I was in a hurry.

Steve Ryan
12-14-2010, 4:27 PM
Pay attention to the weather if/when you open the door to check up on them. I opened up my shop many years ago on an unusually warm winter day. Unusually warm and humid. I soon freaked out as all of my beautiful metal surfaces quickly got covered in condinsation. All of the equipment was well below freezing in temp and the warm moist air soaked them.

greg a bender
12-14-2010, 5:08 PM
Pay attention to the weather if/when you open the door to check up on them. I opened up my shop many years ago on an unusually warm winter day. Unusually warm and humid. I soon freaked out as all of my beautiful metal surfaces quickly got covered in condinsation. All of the equipment was well below freezing in temp and the warm moist air soaked them.

Good point! That kind of weather does happen in NJ at times (most any type of weather happens in NJ!). And that is the exact kind of weather that would prompt you to want to get to the shop.

I think I'll go with another coating of wax.

What about another coat of wax and some old cotton sheets? Any advantages?
Again, they will only be out of service for 3 months or so (Jan, Feb & March).

Thanks,

Greg A.

Steve Ryan
12-15-2010, 9:47 AM
If it was myself I would put a light coat of WD40 on the surface, maybe spraying it on over a single layer of newspaper. Some condinsation is bound to happen with temp changes.