PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned batteries??

Greg Urwiller
12-13-2010, 8:21 PM
What do you think of buying reconditioned 18V batteries? Tooliday.com has reconditioned XRP's for $45. Think a reconditioned one will last? I could always use a couple more of these. I know at Christmas time you can usually pick new ones up a little cheaper than normal, but this price is a lot cheaper in comparison. Greg

Paul Ryan
12-13-2010, 9:45 PM
Greg that sounds like an ok price. But you could also have your own batteries rebuilt for about the same money. Rebuilt batteries are better than new ones. They last much longer than any OEM battery I have used. I have some craftsman 19.2 and some dewalt XRP's that have been rebuilt and they were well worth it. I imagine the rebuilt batteries have been rebuilt from dewalt. If that is the case new batteries are usually quite a bit higher than that. But I would still recommend have batteries rebuilt unless you are looking for some extra units, then I would give them a shot.

mickey cassiba
12-13-2010, 9:57 PM
I just got through with a battery re-celling service. The first battery(PC 19.2) burned a cell on the first charge. Fluke says I and received the DW 18v XRP a few days later. BTW they did fix the PC battery and it is still working. The DW, not so much...three cells burnt and holes in the case. An actual fire in the shop. Not so good. With a 14 day warranty I got screwed on the DW. BTW my local DW service center has 18 volt XRP batteries 2 for 129. The cost of the recell for the DW was 100. Not to mention the melted charger. You do the math.
Mick

Curt Harms
12-14-2010, 8:37 AM
Greg that sounds like an ok price. But you could also have your own batteries rebuilt for about the same money. Rebuilt batteries are better than new ones. They last much longer than any OEM battery I have used. I have some craftsman 19.2 and some dewalt XRP's that have been rebuilt and they were well worth it. I imagine the rebuilt batteries have been rebuilt from dewalt. If that is the case new batteries are usually quite a bit higher than that. But I would still recommend have batteries rebuilt unless you are looking for some extra units, then I would give them a shot.

My limited experience with MTObattery(.)com is like Paul's. Virtually no self-discharge, more capacity than OEM packs which are no longer available.

Jim Davenport
12-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I've had my 18Volt Dewalt batteries rebuilt at my local Batteries plus store. They have a higher rating, and were half the price of Dewalt replacements.
I've been using them for over a year now, with no problems.