PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box Hardware - Silver Instead of Brass

John Ming
12-13-2010, 6:06 PM
I'm completing a number of small jewelry boxes in time for Christmas, but I'd like to use silver-colored hardware (hinges, and maybe a small clasp) instead of the brass hardware that seems to dominate this area of hardware.

Does anyone have any sources/suppliers for small silver/pewter colored hinges? I've spent a bunch of time with Google searches, but haven't uncovered anything....

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Andrew Hughes
12-13-2010, 6:24 PM
I build a box several years ago with silver plated hinges and fittings.It was very expensive even the screws were couple dollars each.check out brusso hardware they now offer stainless steel hinges.

Victor Robinson
12-13-2010, 6:29 PM
I know there's a "nickel" version of the brass pin (cylinder) hinges, but those really only work for smaller boxes. They are available at Lee Valley, among other places...

Van Huskey
12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
As Andrew said for a resonable price the Brusso SS hardware may be your best choice. Even the SS is over twice the price of their brass and those aren't cheap.

Matt Zettl
12-14-2010, 6:51 AM
John,

You might want to have a look at Horton Brasses. They make a small box hinge that is an amazing value. I use the solid brass version, but it is available in satin or polished nickel as well. Horton Brasses is an old, family owned business, and they make their own products. Their service is beyond compare. I have used at least two dozen of the brass hinges for small boxes, and in my opinion, are very close to the quality of Brusso, which I also use. These hinges have 1/8" thick leaves, and they are machined, not stamped. You simply can't go wrong for the price. The product number is PB-405, and you can find it here: http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/hinges/specialtyhinges/clockboxhinges.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Matt Meiser
12-14-2010, 7:38 AM
Horton Brasses just did some custom brushed nickle finish hinges for me. When I saw "custom" I figured it was supposed to be spelled "cu$$$tom" but they weren't bad--about $32 total delivered for one set. Now if I was doing a kitchen with them that would be expensive, but I only needed on pair and it really makes a difference in the piece over my plan B.