PDA

View Full Version : recommended source and brand for saw files?

Greg Portland
12-13-2010, 5:24 PM
I need a variety of files to sharpen my handsaws (various tapers + a mill file). I am having trouble finding Sandvik files in all the sizes I need. Does anyone have a recommendation on file brand and where I can purchase them? Thanks!

Randy Briggs
12-13-2010, 5:45 PM
Grobet seems to be the popular choice. TFWW and VintageSaws have pretty much any size you could want.

Brian Yates
12-13-2010, 6:49 PM
Greg,

I bought two Nicholson files, a 6" Xtra slim and a 7" slim at Home Depot, they are the right sizes for 10 and 8tpi saws, I bought any others I needed from Lee Valley (also Nicholson). I don't think any of them were more than $6.00 or so.

Mark Dorman
12-13-2010, 7:13 PM
Simonds Saw Co has files in there bargain section.

Chris Fournier
12-13-2010, 9:22 PM
I have used Grobert, Nicholson and Simmonds and have no complaints with any of these manufacturers.

Most important is a fresh file for the job.

Try your local Machinist's Tool Supply for a great deal on files.

David Weaver
12-13-2010, 9:54 PM
mcmaster carr has grobet in 5 inch the few times I've ordered, and stuff bigger than that was nicholson (they don't list brands, but they always give you something quality). No clue if the nicholsons are mexican or american. Nicholsons are OK, but I will not buy them now and support offshoring files because it gets harder every day to find decent ones, and a decline in quality is inevitable. Mcmaster is reasonable, about 4 or 5 bucks a file.

Mike wenzloff has grobets in small sizes and, i think, simonds in larger sizes. He has *really* reasonable prices.

Get a few in each size, because you never know when you'll refurbish a saw and blow through one or two on it. I blew through three files on a choice spear and jackson split nut 12 tpi english pattern panel saw that had a frown (at least that's what they call it in razor terms) and nasty teeth. It is a dandy now, I was glad I ordered a few extra so I didn't have to wait on finishing it.

Stay away from third-world import files. You will find out they're good from someone else long before you'll ever find one on your own. I've gotten chinese and indian files from retailers that say "try one, they're really high quality". They are a waste of money, they are all dull from the start if the teeth even look reasonably decent. Let someone else try them and inform on when they're good.

Chris has a good tip. The woodworking supply and vintage saw places are a little high on files, close to double in some cases. If you refurbish a few saws or sharpen some that have misshapen or uneven teeth, you'll go through enough that cost will matter. Machinists supply places are usually better, and if you can buy local, that's even better yet.

Greg Portland
12-15-2010, 3:23 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Mike W. is local to me so that will probably be the easiest solution.

Johnny Kleso
12-15-2010, 3:59 PM
I must have bought a hundred lbs of files off ebay in the last few years..
All types for a dollar or two a piece, all NOS different sizes and shapes..
I have a good ten plus dozen saw files mostly Nicholson I got for less than a buck a piece..

These days Grobet is the best, in the old days Simonds, Nicholson or Heller where a close second to Grobet but I think the gap is a little wider these days.. If you find some NOS American files they will do the job, just depends how many saws they will last..

Seems prices at ebay are rising and you have to keep watching for a deal if you have the time..