PDA

View Full Version : Tires online.

Tony Sade
01-04-2005, 2:44 AM
Anyone ever buy tires online? I know the drill-buy them from an online dealer, dropped shipped to a participating local dealer, etc. I'm wondering if there are enough savings to make it worth the effort and whether any pitfalls await. I like to patronize local folks where possible, and have the benefit of local service if something goes wrong, but I've long given up that approach for tools-ain't nothing here-and wouldn't mind doing so for tires if it makes sense. Cheers, and HNY.

John Weber
01-04-2005, 3:40 AM
Tony,

I guess you are looking at www.tirerack.com. I've bought a set of tires from them and a set of tires and wheels. Tires are shipped to your installer, it cost me about $50 to have 4 mounted and installed. The real savings comes with a tire/wheel combo. Tirerack uses Hunter Road Force balancing with hidden weights (about $20/wheel) free with combo purchase as well as new lug nuts, valve stems, etc... The other big advantage of Tire Rack is selection. You can read reviews and find the best value for your car. I've been buying Yokohoma tires, as they are very highly rated and much less expensive then other more popular brands. I'm very pleased.

John

Rob Russell
01-04-2005, 4:44 AM
I've bought (2) sets of 4 tires from Tire Rack for my daily driver (RWD 1992 Town Car) - a set of snows and summer tires. The Blizzak snows are fine. I'm less pleased with the Bridgestone summer tires I bought - mileage dropped 2-3 mpg from what I was getting with the factory Michelins. I view my displeasure as being part of the online/telephone sales experience where you're choosing a tire other than what the factory put on. Assuming I still have the car a few summers from now, I'll go back to Michelins.

From a price and service perspective, I have no complaints about Tire Rack and the price was lower than locally available.

Next time I go looking for tires, I'll give my dealer a shot at price-matching. I'd have them do the mount/balance and their parts department may be interested in a quick $xx, even if it's not their normal markup.

John Weber
01-04-2005, 5:10 AM
Tony,

Also Tirerack's installer was a local independant service guy that specialized in German autos, and they did a very nice job, plus they don't typically sell tires, so I didn't feel I was short changing them. I saved about $150 on my tires vs local dealer, and about $500 on the wheel/tire combo vs a local dealer. I think Tirerack's service is tops, and they know tires very well. If you have any questions you can contact Clay Hoover at the TireRack:

clay@tirerack.com

John

Dan Mages
01-04-2005, 6:09 AM
I purchased tires from Tire Rack in the past. They are very nice people to work with and I will buy from them in the future.

Dan

Stefan Antwarg
01-04-2005, 6:09 PM
I also have bought from tirerack.com. Tires arrived promptly and I really liked the reviews. Then I had my local mechanic mount them for $30. Great deal.

Stefan

Jeff Sudmeier
01-05-2005, 8:38 AM
Most local shops will mount any tire. Especially the smaller ones that know they don't have the selection. I have heard nothing but good from tirerack.com. A few friends have ordered from there.

Tony Sade
01-06-2005, 1:43 PM
Surprisingly, when figuring total cost of tires, shipping and mounting, my local dealer, which has the tires I think I want, and will throw in free lifetime balancing and rotation, comes close enough that I'm going to pass on Tiretrack. I appreciate all your comments.

Hal Flynt
01-07-2005, 1:48 PM
I have bought from Discount Tire Direct Online http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
(saved over $100 on 4 Michelins for an Explorer. Best price at a dealer was $117 per and I bought for $89 per.

and Tire Rack (link above).

I saved enough in taxes and price to make it worthwhile since I have a tire guy that does all my alignments and balancing. Had em shipped to him and will do it again.

If the price is close, I'll always do business locally.