PDA

View Full Version : Finish recommendations for Walnut table with Curly Maple inlays

Bruce Navin
12-13-2010, 2:16 PM
I am planning on building a table for my finished basement-I may do the same for a bar top- it will be constructed of dark walnut, and I wanted to accent the work with curly maple inlay near the border of the table top and possibly a square bookmatched set in the center.

In order to bring out the natural beauty of the contrasting wood species (in other words-no staining); I thought a simple finish of boiled linseed or tung oil would be aesthetically pleasing. I want to achieve a wet look. I thought I would then apply several coats of shellac. But I wonder if a urethane would be better over the oil. I expect to see spillage of adult and other beverages, wet glasses without coasters, etc. Any recommendations regarding the best method to have the beauty of the two woods really "pop" while still having a durable finish? Thank you.

Jerome Hanby
12-13-2010, 4:34 PM
I've got a similar project in the works (kitchen table and chairs, Ambrosia maple table top and seats, walnut everything else). I've just about resigned myself to using Behlen Rockhard Table Top finish for the final coats. Seems like that is what always ends up being the answer for finishes that have to hold up under physical and chemical (alcohol) abuse.

Chris Padilla
12-13-2010, 4:46 PM
Jerome has a great suggest. Waterlox is also another popular one. Shellac is a definite no-no around alcoholic beverages.

Scott Holmes
12-13-2010, 8:36 PM
Behlen's is a phenolic resin/linseed oil varnish. Waterlox is a phenolic resin/Tung oil varnish. Tung oil's real claim to fame is that when varnish is made from tung oil instead of linseed oil or soya oil the resulting varnish is more waterproof and more watervapor resistant then the varnishes made from the other oils.

I'd use the Waterlox Original.

Homer Formby is responsible for most of the untrue claims to fame for tung oil being a great finish... of course his "Tung Oil Finish" is an alkyd resin/soya oil wiping varnish (no tung oil anywhere but on the label) so people thought they were using tung oil; it worked very well, in fact it vastly out performed BLO... Yeah, no kidding it's VARNISH!