PDA

View Full Version : EZ Smart Guide System...

Phil Winn
01-03-2005, 8:45 PM
Any thoughts on the "EZ Smart Guide System" -

With the Smart Router System?

With the Smart Top system?

www.hartvilletool.com/product/11769 (http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11769)

Phil Winn

Glenn Clabo
01-04-2005, 12:44 AM
I just bought the system off ebay. Dino is the man!

If you want to see a very long and interesting discussion list...here's the list of them after a search. Be prepared for some opinions...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?

Paul Berendsohn
01-04-2005, 3:06 AM
Morning Phil

I have the SmartGuide with the router system as well, and can't rave about them both highly enough. It's one of those tools that makes me smile every time I use it. As mentioned, there's a long history of discussion here and elsewhere, but you can also check out their Ebay Feedback rating which I believe is around 100% positive. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Best wishes,
Paul

Ken Salisbury
01-04-2005, 3:11 AM
The SMC Archives are full of info on this system - Simply use the Search Feature (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?)

Steve Clardy
01-04-2005, 7:26 PM
Got one. Like it. Very handy to use, especially on the job site where a table saw is a pita to haul around.

John Miliunas
01-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Phil, got one, love it, use it a LOT! :) In fact the table is setup in my shop probably 90% of the time. Besides being great for use with the rails, it's also nice for doing stain/finish on, because you can lay large pieces on it and then move them off while still wet, by picking the piece up very easily in between the rails. Use the system a whole lot for "shooting" a straight edge on a rough board before going through the joint/plane milling process. Great time saver. You wouldn't be disappointed!:) :cool:

Phil Winn
01-05-2005, 1:00 AM
saw, how do the Festool and this system compare?

I already own a Festool vac and 150 ROS, and find that their
products are well made, but still very-very expensive.

Do these systems work better with a saw or what about using a PC690LR or PC7518 (I own both)?

If the EZ Smart Guide system is the best, where is the best place to
purchase it?

Thanks,
Phil

Christian Aufreiter
01-05-2005, 6:54 AM

I hope you watched Monty Python's "Life of Brian" and know what happened to the guy who said Jehova. ;) :D :rolleyes: ;)

Regards,

Christian

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2005, 7:00 AM
Phil...Please see Ken Salisbury (and my) post above. And like I said...be prepared.

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 7:58 AM
Christian? Are you comparing the SmartGuide to a halibut? ;)

Phil, I'm an unabashed fan of the entire Eureka system (as you will see if you search the archives here). I've used both a 50 dollar Ryobi and a PC 325 Mag on mine with blades ranging from PC Framer blade to a pricey Freud. In my experience you'll get an unbelievable cut with anything you can mount on it. I purchased mine directly from the Eurekazone Ebay listings, often they have specials running.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try and help. Christian can be in charge of the halibut ;)

Paul

Frank Pellow
01-05-2005, 8:22 AM
I hope you watched Monty Python's "Life of Bryan" and know what happened to the guy who said Jehova. ;) :D :rolleyes: ;)

Regards,

Christian
Christian, that's a great way to warn Phil about the "can of worms" that he might be opening up. :D Phil, search the SMS archives to see what I mean. Festool/Eureka comparison has been a very hot and sometimes emotional topic.

By the way, "Life of Brian" is my favourite movie ever. :)

Christian Aufreiter
01-05-2005, 8:50 AM
Christian, that's a great way to warn Phil about the "can of worms" that he might be opening up. :D Phil, search the SMS archives to see what I mean. Festool/Eureka comparison has been a very hot and sometimes emotional topic.

By the way, "Life of Brian" is my favourite movie ever. :)

Thanks, Frank.
Also thanks for generously overlooking my inability of spelling "Brian" correctly. I corrected this mistake in my initial post.
BTW, IMO Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a great film, too.
There are some interesting and funny Monty Python websites you might like to check out. But I don't know the URLs and I don't want to hijack this thread.

Dennis Peacock
01-05-2005, 8:58 AM
Good Morning folks....Let's continue to keep this in line. Phil, I will be sending you a PM later today. Let's please keep the lid on this can-o-worms.

Both systems have merit and both systems are guiderails and they both cut whatever you put under them. It all boils down to personal preference and the depth of you wallet. ;) :rolleyes:

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 9:16 AM
Hey there Dennis, Nice to see you.

With all due respect to the hushed voices and veiled warnings, is this really a subject that can't be addressed in an adult manner? In another thread recently, as soon as a few folks piped up that they were Eureka fans it was as though a bucket of cold water got tossed on the thread. I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if they had written lovingly about another brand? I think Phil got the point that this is a hot button for some folks here. That being said, let the poor guy ask what he needs to... just my humble opinion of course.

Steven Herbin
01-05-2005, 11:02 AM
... after getting showered in another thread, I'll try this one (especially since this fully on topic). It's amazing how some people treat a decloaking newbie!

I've been using the EZ Smart System (Smart Table and Smart Guide) for about the last 2 months. I had the pleasure of meeting Dino at his shop and getting the full test drive with him right there.

One of the best features (besides price) of the "system" is the Smart Table. It is so flexible that I use it all the time for cutting any piece of wood where I don't want to take it to the TS. I also use it (as others do) for clampups, routing, face frame pocket screws (since the face frame clamp can sit between the rails and the whole face frame is level).

You're only limited by the applications you can think of for it.

The rails work well with just about any saw and the antichip edges on the rails and the saw plate work quite nicely. I've cut 1/4 ply with virtually no chipout.

All in all, this was one of the better purchases I've made for my little, but growing, shop.

Did I mention the reasonable price?

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Hey there Steven, glad you stuck around. Have you gotten the SmartRouter kit yet? If not, you have to make it your next purchase, it is all that and more. Used mine all last weekend and man is it a joy...

Chris Padilla
01-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Phil,

I have both the Festool system (AT 65 circular saw and guide rails) and the Eurekazone guide rail system. You would think I could speak intelligently about both of them but I have to be honest...I haven't used them enough yet! :o :rolleyes:

I bought the EZ stuff first because I felt the Festool stuff was just too expensive. After all, I already had a great saw: Skil Mag 77 worm-drive saw. This saw has been perfect going on 6-7 years now. However, I came to find out that the EZ guide system doesn't work as well with left-sided saw as it does with right-sided saws. The Skil has the blade mounted to the extreme left of the saw body. Well, shoot...now I need a new circular saw to mate nicely with my EZ guide system! :mad:

Then Festool had this great 10-15% off sale w/free shipping (and in some cases, no tax) and I got the green light from the missus for X-mas and so I pounced and bought Festool stuff. Why? Mostly I bought the Festool circular saw for its fantastic dust collection. As far as I know, no other circular saw come close to Festool's for DC and that was the main clincher for me.

Still, I haven't really used either system enough to speak intelligently or to make a list of pros and cons so I won't even try. However, I plan to keep my EZ stuff (probably use it for router guiding) as I don't plan to even go anywhere near Festool for router tools and gizmos.

For me, dust collection was important enough to drop the bucks on Festool. However, if you already have a nice circular saw that you are happy with, I think the EZ is the way to go. If you want superior DC, then Festool is the way to go. When Porter Cable or Makita or Milwaukee or whomever catches up to Festool for DC, Festool will have better competition. I should add that for the Festool saws, that you can only use Festool blades (more or less) because they are metric. This is a HUGE drawback in some cases and is one reason I will probably be forced to keep my Skil. I guess I can't slice up concrete with a cheap masonry blade from Home Depot with my Festool saw....

As the others have indicated, this discussion can get really passionate for some strange reason.

Keep in mind for those of you ready to nitpick my post apart that these are all my opinions and I am free to voice them. I don't really care if you agree or disagree with them so there!! :p :D

Dennis Peacock
01-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Hey there Dennis, Nice to see you.

With all due respect to the hushed voices and veiled warnings, is this really a subject that can't be addressed in an adult manner? In another thread recently, as soon as a few folks piped up that they were Eureka fans it was as though a bucket of cold water got tossed on the thread. I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if they had written lovingly about another brand? I think Phil got the point that this is a hot button for some folks here. That being said, let the poor guy ask what he needs to... just my humble opinion of course.

Howdy Paul,

I ain't one to stop this thread......I agree to discussion....I have tried one GRS and haven't gotten the resources to try another GRS, but have gotten to at least see the EZ in Dallas. I like both systems.

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Hiya Chris...

Just out of curiousity, have you considered an inexpensive RH saw for your SmartGuide? I also have the Skil Mag 77 and I do love it for some things. When I got my first SmartGuide, I was apprehensive about the switch so I started out with a very cheap Ryobi (since replaced with a PC 325... great dust collection, especially with Dino's 10 dollar modification) and got just amazing cuts out of that cheapo Ryobi with the OEM blade.

Chris Padilla
01-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Paul,

Nope, I haven't considered a RH saw...yet! Now ya got me thinking of course. :)

I know I sound like a broken record but I'm still getting my shop in shape. I haven't done any real woodworking in almost 6 months. However, I'm getting closer to scheduling drywall installation so I will be soon back to real woodworking. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try a review a la Mr. Peacock...perhaps this summer. :)

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 11:52 AM
These were some fooling around cuts I made with the Ryobi and stock blade on some fragile veneer ply, Chris. Pretty amazing what the SmartGuide and SmartBase does for antisplintering...

Chris Padilla
01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Paul,

Do you have any pics of your cheap Ryobi and the $10 DC improvement?

Paul Berendsohn
01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Here ya go Chris. Two of the 5 circ saws I own :eek: . Sorry for the poor quality. The single shot of the PC shows the Lexan piece Dino makes that radically improves the dust collection.

(For more details on the "DDC" Dino Dust Collector ;) see: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13877)

Paul Berendsohn
01-06-2005, 9:03 AM
Phil, you're awfully quiet... Did you get you questions answered or were you scared off?

Phil Winn
01-06-2005, 9:38 AM
I have been reading every post-it would take a lot to make me
leave the group ! I hope to make a purchase some time
in the next few weeks....
Phil

Greg Mann
01-06-2005, 2:24 PM
Chris,

I am going to store this post with a shortcut on my desktop as the definintive statement regarding the whole 'F or E' GCSS debate. It looks like you will have the best of both worlds, once you get your drywalling done. ;)

Greg

Phil,

I have both the Festool system (AT 65 circular saw and guide rails) and the Eurekazone guide rail system. You would think I could speak intelligently about both of them but I have to be honest...I haven't used them enough yet! :o :rolleyes:

I bought the EZ stuff first because I felt the Festool stuff was just too expensive. After all, I already had a great saw: Skil Mag 77 worm-drive saw. This saw has been perfect going on 6-7 years now. However, I came to find out that the EZ guide system doesn't work as well with left-sided saw as it does with right-sided saws. The Skil has the blade mounted to the extreme left of the saw body. Well, shoot...now I need a new circular saw to mate nicely with my EZ guide system! :mad:

Then Festool had this great 10-15% off sale w/free shipping (and in some cases, no tax) and I got the green light from the missus for X-mas and so I pounced and bought Festool stuff. Why? Mostly I bought the Festool circular saw for its fantastic dust collection. As far as I know, no other circular saw come close to Festool's for DC and that was the main clincher for me.

Still, I haven't really used either system enough to speak intelligently or to make a list of pros and cons so I won't even try. However, I plan to keep my EZ stuff (probably use it for router guiding) as I don't plan to even go anywhere near Festool for router tools and gizmos.

For me, dust collection was important enough to drop the bucks on Festool. However, if you already have a nice circular saw that you are happy with, I think the EZ is the way to go. If you want superior DC, then Festool is the way to go. When Porter Cable or Makita or Milwaukee or whomever catches up to Festool for DC, Festool will have better competition. I should add that for the Festool saws, that you can only use Festool blades (more or less) because they are metric. This is a HUGE drawback in some cases and is one reason I will probably be forced to keep my Skil. I guess I can't slice up concrete with a cheap masonry blade from Home Depot with my Festool saw....

As the others have indicated, this discussion can get really passionate for some strange reason.

Keep in mind for those of you ready to nitpick my post apart that these are all my opinions and I am free to voice them. I don't really care if you agree or disagree with them so there!! :p :D

Phil Winn
01-06-2005, 3:14 PM
It was pointed out that there is a "freedom kit" which
includes the CS kit + the table + the router kit all at a discount---it
seems to me that the CS kit and the table are no brainers but
what about the router kit?
Thanks,
Phil

Harish C. Mathur
01-06-2005, 3:17 PM
Paul,

Nope, I haven't considered a RH saw...yet! Now ya got me thinking of course. :)

I know I sound like a broken record but I'm still getting my shop in shape. I haven't done any real woodworking in almost 6 months. However, I'm getting closer to scheduling drywall installation so I will be soon back to real woodworking. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try a review a la Mr. Peacock...perhaps this summer. :)

A few months ago I spoke to Dino and he was working on a LH blade solution for the his guide. (He offered me a CNC version for the LH PC saw I had then). Perhaps it is now available.... you may want check his website or perhaps he will answer here.

JayStPeter
01-06-2005, 3:42 PM
...I don't plan to even go anywhere near Festool for router tools and gizmos.

Hahahahahah ... oh ... sorry, but that was a good one ;)

For me, dust collection was important enough to drop the bucks on Festool.

Hmmm, I see a conflict with these two statements :D

BTW, The new mid-sized Festool router comes out next month :)

Jay

Paul Berendsohn
01-06-2005, 3:48 PM
Phil,

Are you asking about the quality of the router kit? It's absolutely phenomenal, it may be my favorite part of the system.

Hmmm, didn't I post a review of it here already? If not I'll have to find it and put it up here...

Edit: Yuppp, I sure did post a review already! Here's the thread-
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14515

Monte Milanuk
01-06-2005, 4:20 PM
Doesn't look like from the FAQ on their site that they have anything specific for a left blade saw such as the 743K (my newest saw). Which would most likely work better: sacrificing the anti-chip feature and using the 743 w/ the Smart Guide, or using a 'lesser' saw such as my beater Craftsman CS or a Ryobi CS? The 743 at least has some sort of DC on it. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Thanks,

Monte

Paul Berendsohn
01-06-2005, 4:47 PM
If buying another cs is out of the question (hey, any excuse for a new tool right?) I'd go with an existing RH saw. As mentioned previously I used a very inexpensive Ryobi at first and it worked just great...

Harish C. Mathur
01-06-2005, 5:03 PM
Doesn't look like from the FAQ on their site that they have anything specific for a left blade saw such as the 743K (my newest saw). Which would most likely work better: sacrificing the anti-chip feature and using the 743 w/ the Smart Guide, or using a 'lesser' saw such as my beater Craftsman CS or a Ryobi CS? The 743 at least has some sort of DC on it. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Thanks,

Monte
Monte, I had the same problem. In my case, Dino offered, as one option, to send me another base that works on a LH saws. This was many months ago... so I figured he would have made it available by now. Perhaps he was only trying to solve my specific problem and not planning to take it to market.

In my case, at the end of the day, he and I had a "confusion/disagreement" and so I asked him not to send me anything. Net is I'm disappointed and my guide is sitting unused in a closet in my garage. I have not decided if I'm going to buy a RH saw or get a Festool.

Getting back to your question, In my opinion, I think the anti-chip feature is a major attraction to this or any other guide. Without it, why not just get a inexpensive straight edge or one of the other cheaper guides? If you keep/purchase this guide, I would recommend going with a RH saw over giving up the anti-chip feature.

Chris Padilla
01-06-2005, 5:30 PM
Hahahahahah ... oh ... sorry, but that was a good one ;)
Hmmm, I see a conflict with these two statements :D

BTW, The new mid-sized Festool router comes out next month :)

Jay
Okay, ya got me there. I'm sure the DC is good on the F routers, too. And, quite frankly, routers make a lot more mess than a circular saw but I have 3 PC routers and I do have their DC system (works, but semi-painful to install) and it does the job
so
no
more
routers
for
me! :eek:

:D

Jim Becker
01-06-2005, 6:43 PM
so no more routers for me!
Ahem...I bet that was what Norm said after the first half dozen or so. :eek: :D I have four and already "ordered" the OF 1400 EQ Plus. "Maybe" I'll get rid of the PC plunger at some point, but you never know... ;)

Greg Mann
01-06-2005, 7:35 PM
Gee, I have four as well. I guess that means I'll need to order the 1400 to keep up. :D (Now about catching up to Jim on my number of posts?? I don't think so.;) )

Greg

Ahem...I bet that was what Norm said after the first half dozen or so. :eek: :D I have four and already "ordered" the OF 1400 EQ Plus. "Maybe" I'll get rid of the PC plunger at some point, but you never know... ;)

Steve Clardy
01-06-2005, 7:46 PM
Gee, I have four as well. I guess that means I'll need to order the 1400 to keep up. :D (Now about catching up to Jim on my number of posts?? I don't think so.;) )

Greg
Lol.:D
I'd have to quite my job to even begin to post with Becker. Then it'd probably take a year to catch up?? Lol
But I got him beat on the router count. Lol:rolleyes::eek::D:)

Chris Padilla
01-06-2005, 8:06 PM
Line 'em up, Bro...I wanna see those bad boyz in a PIC!! :D

Steve Clardy
01-06-2005, 8:19 PM
Line 'em up, Bro...I wanna see those bad boyz in a PIC!! :D
Lol. Will do. Camera is in truck outside, about 10 degrees outside. I'll get er warmed up, and shoot you a porter cable line-up there Bro. Chris.
BRB soon.:)

Phil Winn
01-07-2005, 12:41 AM
For the Smart Guide and the Festool--the "cutting line" is one
off-set and one right on the line? Is this an issue?
(How about those tech terms?)
Phil

<!-- / message -->

John Miliunas
01-07-2005, 8:03 AM
For the Smart Guide and the Festool--the "cutting line" is one
off-set and one right on the line? Is this an issue?
(How about those tech terms?)
Phil

<!-- / message -->
Phil, on either system, the edge of the guide IS your cuttling line. Then, it just depends which side of the pencil mark you cut to.:D :cool:

Kevin Halliburton
03-20-2006, 10:36 AM

I already own a Festool vac and 150 ROS, and find that their
products are well made, but still very-very expensive.

Do these systems work better with a saw or what about using a PC690LR or PC7518 (I own both)?

If the EZ Smart Guide system is the best, where is the best place to
purchase it?

Thanks,
Phil

Festool saws and routers are some of the best tools available for use with the EZ Smart guide. There really is no need to bleed over which system is the best. The way to think about the EZ Smart guide, compared to the Festool guide, is to think of the Festool as a proprietary guide for their excellent tools and the EZ Smart Guide more like a Beissemier fence (on steroids) for every brand and function of tool on the market. The EZ guide is very rigid and accepts every jig, fixture, accessory and doohicky the world can come up with. I have both powered and non-powered tools, in a wide array of brands, adapted to the EZ guides and it works very well with all of them. It gives me portable, precise and repeatable control of every tool I use with it.

I'm of the opinion that if you want the ultimate performance and flexibility in every category, you need to go with an integratable sytem like the EZ Smart. If you decide you like a different brand tool for some operation, or a tool that Festool doesn't even make, the EZ Guide rails will make that equipment behave as well as your Festool equipment. From concrete and Prazi beam saws, on down to your favorite hand planes, the EZ Smart Guide has the potential to make every tool in your shop work a little (lot)better.