PDA

View Full Version : Scorching when cutting lamacoid tags

Michael Cress
12-13-2010, 1:36 PM
Having some issues with cutting out lamacoid tags, the edges tend to scorch and leave a lot of residue on the product and my hands. I've tried a couple of things but can't find a solution.
When doing a couple hundred electrical tags I really don't want to have to wash every darn tag.

Using A Helix24 50watt

Richard Rumancik
12-13-2010, 4:06 PM
Michael, if it is a true Lamacoid material then I think what you are seeing is to be expected. Lamacoid is a material made from layers of cloth/paper etc bonded with phenolic resin, which is a thermosetting resin. When you laser it you are burning it, so it will cut similar to Formica. You will probably have char on the edges which comes off as soon as you touch it. If the spec calls for Lamacoid specifically there's not much you can do. Otherwise you might search for a more laser-friendly material. I think it probably works okay to mark it but cutting it is probably not ideal. It was developed in the era of mechanical engraving only, not for laser engraving.

Mike Null
12-13-2010, 4:50 PM
Richard has it right. You can engrave lamacoid with a laser but cutting it will not produce saleable results.

Rodne Gold
12-14-2010, 12:50 AM
All the residue comes off with a detergent wash , easier if you use a household abraisive cream type detergent.