PDA

View Full Version : clear finish

George Clark
12-13-2010, 1:05 PM
Most oils and varnish that I have used tend to add a yellow hue to the project. Normally I like this, but I have some projects that I would like to finish without this yellowing effect. What is your favorite really clear finish. Thanks in advance for your input.

George

George Guadiane
12-13-2010, 1:14 PM
Van Industries makes a water based acrylic that is supposed to be pure water clear.
Here is a link (http://www.vtcoatings.com/wood.html) to their page, you need to tell them that you are a woodturner, and at this time of year, they may not ship it (if it freezes, its no good). I have used their water based poly with BEAUTIFUL results and bought the clear acrylic because I too wanted to avoid the tint. Because I have such good results with the poly, I took their recommendation and bought it... I have not yet used it.

With the poly, I am able to sand with oil and apply immediately. The tech guy seemed to think the same would be true of the acrylic. For clear sanding I use mineral oil... Makes the grain and figure really stand out.

Scott Lux
12-13-2010, 2:08 PM
If it's something you want really shiny, CA (superglue) makes a very clear finish. It cures quickly, and can be buffed well. It can be cost prohibitive, but there are sources for deals. A 2 oz bottle will finish dozens of pens, so I assume you could get one larger piece out of it. Be sure to blow the fumes away from you.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-13-2010, 5:52 PM
Hi George, I just asked this question last week. Great minds think alike. :) Some clear finishes are water based poly, spray lacquer, and super blond shellac. Hope this helps. Alan

Bill Bolen
12-13-2010, 5:58 PM
I generally use minwax water base poly, comes in the blue can.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2010, 7:12 PM
George I got some Benwood called Stays Clear Acrylic Polyurethane from our local lumber yard. I used it on some maple that my sister wanted the light clear wood to show. It worked great.

Michael James
12-13-2010, 7:21 PM
I love everything about shellac, 'cept sometimes you really dont want the amber effect. I use a lacquer sanding sealer, then lacquer. Have not tried the waterbased stuff, but will probably try some based on feedback here. Good luck!
mj

dan carter
12-13-2010, 7:57 PM
A Diamond product, a floor finish, Varathane is a latex product, dries clear, it does raise the grain of many woods.