PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Hammer K3 sliding saw please

Brian Cosgrove
12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi, I have been researching on sliders and it seem the consensus is to get the longest slider possible. I have been looking at the Hammer K3 winner and K3 perform models. The perform has a 98" slide, whereas the winner has 78" I am a hobbyist who mostly does single production items like casework dressers, nightstands, chairs, etc and a little frameless cabinetry. I plan to do more framelss cabinetry but not a ton, mostly for myself and close family/friends if need be. I guess my predicament is that the K3 winner with 78" slide, 49" rip capacity and scoring motor is on sale right now for $4999, which I believe is a great price. The perform is currently well over $7000. My question is for those who may have the shorter slider on your saw, can you reasonably get by with it? I know Hammer also sells a track that you can use to rip the occasional longer piece with the shorter slider, which I assume would work fine. I also only have 21' depth in my garage, which would work better for a shorter slider. Also, with the 49" rip capacity, I could cut longer sheet stock the traditional way. Advice, please :)

John P Clark
12-13-2010, 10:57 AM
I have the Hammer K3 winner with the 78" slider and I am very happy with it. It does everything that I want and I can easly cut down sheet goods with this saw. With a 21-ft deep garage, I think that you would be pushing it with a 8' slider with working room. Go with the winner and it will perform everything that you will need it to do. Mine is configured the same as you are looking at with the 49" rip, scoring blade, and winner package. My 2 cents worth.

Frank Drew
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Brian

I had an Ulmia sliding table saw that could crosscut to 54" on the sliding table; cutting down a sheetgood the long way, I'd use the rip fence. If you're not working with plywood all day every day, a smaller capacity machine might be right for you, as it was for me.

Some version of a sliding table is much better than no sliding table at all, IMO.

Brian Cosgrove
12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I am super close to pulling the trigger on this.

Rod Sheridan
12-13-2010, 1:14 PM
Brian, I have the B3 Winner with a 49" slider on it which will crosscut a sheet of plywood.

It will also straight line rip somewhere around that length without the accessory sled for longer pieces.

Most of the casework I make is somewhere around 30 to 40 inches wide so it does everything I want.

I have the 31" rip fence capacity which also fits most of my work.

I presume that you'll be adding the scoring saw option for veneered/laminated material?

Regards, Rod.

Brian Cosgrove
12-13-2010, 1:39 PM
Yes, Rod, the scoring saw option is included in the price. All in all, if you add up the options, it lists for $8300. I am also awaiting delivery of an FB600 bandsaw and I am hoping to get a good shipping rate if they hold the FB600 and ship them together. I have already paid full shipping on the bandsaw, as it is a done deal.

Brian Cosgrove
12-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you everyone for the advice and input. Ordered the K3 yesterday :) It is pretty much loaded with every option the "winner" model has, 78" slider, 49" rip capacity, scoring motor, 51" crosscut fence, cast iron pro fence, etc. Lists for $8607 with options. On sale for $4999. Not to be delivered until February, though. January is gonna be a long month :(

Rod Sheridan
12-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Yes Brian it will be a long wait, however you get exactly what you want.

You're going to like having a slider with scoring.........Rod.