PDA

View Full Version : turning wet redheart

shaun gardner
12-13-2010, 1:04 AM
Has anyone done this and if so what was your experience? I have a 3x6x6 piece and it is wet without a doubt. I want to turn it but dont want it to turn into a piece of firewood because of cracking either. I cant find any info on it. Thanks for the help.
shaun

Gary Max
12-13-2010, 5:48 AM
I have a microwave out in my shop just for such a occasion. The trick---don't you dare use your wife's.

shaun gardner
12-13-2010, 1:17 PM
So has anyone dried redheart with the microwave? Where you sucessful or was there checking? I have not ever tried to dry anything with the microwave so dont have a lot of confidence in doing such. Advice would be appreciated.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2010, 9:15 PM
Shaun I have never turned wet Redheart but if I had that piece I would do like the rest of the bowls I turn. I turn mine to 10% or at least 3/4" thick walls. I then coat it inside and out with anchorseal and sit it aside to dry. I have did a couple of pieces of wet purpleheart and they are looking pretty good with no cracks. It does take longer to dry this way maybe 4 to 8 months but learned of it from Mike Mahoney. He said he had a 95% or better success rate.