PDA

View Full Version : Another Ornament

Kathy Marshall
12-13-2010, 1:00 AM
Turned this from Ash and Eucaluptus. Finished with spray lacquer. I would have liked the ash to have stayed whiter to better go with the red of the finial. Holly would have been a much better choice if I'd had some, but all in all I'm happy with it!
Did have 1 little incident with it while spraying the finish, had it hanging from a wire wrapped around a dowel and accidentally tilted the dowel down when I was trying to get to the back side (note to self, keep a finger on the wire to keep it in place), and the wire slipped off, crash, bang, crack! the bottom half of the finial broke off. Luckily it was a clean break and a little CA saved the day. It fit together so nicely that I can't even find the crack anymore.

Norm Zax
12-13-2010, 3:54 AM
Nice job Kathy! As there are several ebonizing options, consider a whitening effect to get paler hues. There are two component chemicals on the market as well as whitening waxes (this option may not be a good choice under spray laquer). Keep up the good work.

Roland Martin
12-13-2010, 6:50 AM
Nice ornament Kathy, and a real nice save!:eek: I kinda like the colors the way they are. I ought to try turning an ornament, have never done that.

Jeff Nicol
12-13-2010, 6:57 AM
Kathy, I think it is very nice the way it is, most who buy or recieve hand made wood ornaments love the fact that they are wood and made by someone, not machine. The finish is another key component, anf for a Christmas ornament the more shine and sparkle it has the better.

You did good,

Jeff

John Keeton
12-13-2010, 7:13 AM
Kathy, this one has a nice, clean look to it! I like the simple grain of the ash, and the colors look fine to me. Very pretty!

David E Keller
12-13-2010, 8:37 AM
Nicely done. For my personal tastes, I like the globe portion to be a little smaller, but having a variety of forms for the tree probably makes things more intersesting.

Jim Underwood
12-13-2010, 9:00 AM
Great job!

Baxter Smith
12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Very nice job Kathy! I like the "natural" colors and I think your two go quite well together.

steven carter
12-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Kathy,
Very pretty ornament, will look good on any tree or just by itself.

David Reed
12-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Kathy:
I like the globe form, the top and the colors are great. I am not certain what it is about the finial that does not suit me. You did a great job executing the turning plus the design repeats add interest and shows planning with forethought but to me it looks a bit busy perhaps.
And I knocked my latest off the workbench but was able to catch it before it went crashing to the floor. Boneheaded maneuvers.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2010, 5:21 PM
Nice ornament Kathy! Really like the globe portion!

Just a suggestion for your next icicle - you want the piece to taper from the globe to the end of the icicle and, just like finials, the end product seems more pleasing when following the 2/3s rule.

Ron Stadler
12-13-2010, 6:10 PM
nice looking ornament and I really like the end part of your finial even though you broke it off:eek:, good ca job.:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2010, 7:08 PM
That is a nice ornament Kathy and I like your finial.

Michael Short
12-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I like your design style very much. Thanks for posting.

Ron Bontz
12-14-2010, 2:59 PM
Very nice.

Mark Hubl
12-14-2010, 3:23 PM
Nice ornament. Hate to hear about the crash. Glad to hear it was fixable.

Richard Madden
12-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Excellent job! I like everything about it, and I'm glad you were able to save it.

Allen Linton
12-14-2010, 9:54 PM
Kathy, I tried an ornament and it ended up looking like a golf ball on a tee! Yours however is beautiful and I learned a few things just by looking at it; THANKS