PDA

View Full Version : A quick BLM hollow form

David Reed
12-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I have been rather busy with other projects lately. You know, using those flat-ish pieces of wood and the table saw. Anyway, had a hankerin for the some shavings and quickly fell under the influence of the spinning wood. This is what came out the other side.
Good lighting and close up pics show I have a little clean up to do but that will have to wait. This piece is eight inches by four inches. The wall thickness 3/16" except the rim which is 5/16 for added strength here. Finished with three coats WOP.173634173636173637173635http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Richard Madden
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Very cool, I like it a lot, especially that last photo. Someday I gotta get some of that BLM.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Beautiful wood! The form has a very natural/organic feel to it! I like the contrast between the smooth form and the natural edge of the lip. Nice work!

John Keeton
12-13-2010, 7:09 AM
David, as you know, I love BLM burls!! And, after seeing this one, I am anxious to come up with a plan for the one you sent me. I really like the form of this one - low and streamlined - very nice, and wonderful color, too. Great work.

How do you like sanding a NE piece like this?? Kind of like sanding a spinning buzzsaw, isn't it?!?!:eek:

Dale Bright
12-13-2010, 7:39 AM
David,

You have done a great job with a really nice piece of wood.

Dale

Harvey M. Taylor
12-13-2010, 7:45 AM
David, that blm turning is crying out for a handle like the one JK posted a little while ago. Max

David E Keller
12-13-2010, 8:31 AM
Gorgeous wood and a wonderful form! Nicely done.

dan carter
12-13-2010, 8:33 AM
That's a beauty. Good job.

Tim Rinehart
12-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Very cool...I like it!

Baxter Smith
12-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Very nicely done with some very pretty wood!

David Reed
12-13-2010, 10:22 AM
David, as you know, I love BLM burls!! And, after seeing this one, I am anxious to come up with a plan for the one you sent me. I really like the form of this one - low and streamlined - very nice, and wonderful color, too. Great work.

How do you like sanding a NE piece like this?? Kind of like sanding a spinning buzzsaw, isn't it?!?!:eek:
Indeed the finishing process adds a bit of excitement to the process on these natural edge forms.

David, that blm turning is crying out for a handle like the one JK posted a little while ago. Max
Actually in reality the piece is not as 'pitcher-ey' as it may appear in the last photo. It certainly would not compare to JK's

Thank you all for looking.

Ken Hill
12-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Excellent!

That right there is exactly why and what I like about NE pieces. To me, NE's are just all out free form, although i know somewhere there is someone grinding teeth over it not being perfectly symetrical or this height or form blah blah blah! This type of form is also what I would like to achieve if I score a Monster

Mark Hubl
12-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Very nice David. The BLM is beautiful and I love what you did with it.

David DeCristoforo
12-13-2010, 12:21 PM
"...that blm turning is crying out for a handle..."

"It certainly would not compare..."

i have to respectfully disagree with both of these comments. I think this is every bit as nice a piece and it does not need a handle!!! I really like the "low profile" of this. And, of course, the wood is gorgeous!

Scott Hackler
12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Very nice looking form and great wood. I love these NE free forms. Anything that is non utilitairian appeals to me, these days. The only, very small, thing I see that doesn't work is that it doesnt look like the inside of the vessel wasnt finished with any WOP or oil. Picture one looks like the inside is bare wood. Maybe its just the picture.

George Guadiane
12-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Took a while, but I finally figured out that BLM PROBABLY means Big Leaf Maple...

Whatever it is, its mighty fine. I really like the shape and the natural edge contrast to the rest of the smooth flowing form.

Rob Cunningham
12-13-2010, 12:57 PM
That's a really cool looking piece. Beautiful wood with a lot of character.

David Reed
12-13-2010, 1:04 PM
Took a while, but I finally figured out that BLM PROBABLY means Big Leaf Maple...

Whatever it is, its mighty fine. I really like the shape and the natural edge contrast to the rest of the smooth flowing form.
Thanks for the input. I really enjoy this form and have done a few, although this is the only one I currently have, having given all the others away.
I too was a little slow on the uptake re the numerous abbreviations on this and other sites but have deciphered the majority, although as yet, not all.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-13-2010, 1:19 PM
David,
I don't know if it is the wood, the lighting or the finish but that is the warmest appearing color I've seen. Really nice. Get a "hankerin" more often. The results are wonderful.
faust

Roland Martin
12-13-2010, 2:59 PM
Very nice form and the BLM is fantastic. Great work!

David Gilbert
12-13-2010, 3:03 PM
Am I the only one here that doesn't know what "BLM? means?

I wish you folks would define your acronym the first time you use it so everyone knows what it is. (I just saw George Guadiane's post above and now know that it is Big Leaf Maple but I decided to post this anyway.)

Thanks,
David

David DeCristoforo
12-13-2010, 3:22 PM
"...now know that it is Big Leaf Maple..."

Me too. I thought it was "Big Lipped Mama"...

Ron Stadler
12-13-2010, 3:54 PM
Very pretty piece, Kinda reminds me of John's pitcher he just made.

Jim Burr
12-13-2010, 5:04 PM
If that's quick, I'd hate to see what happens when you take your time!! Looks real fine from this angle.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2010, 7:18 PM
I really like the form on this one and the wood looks great.

Rob Mathis
12-13-2010, 9:07 PM
WOW I like this a lot.

David Reed
12-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Very nice looking form and great wood. I love these NE free forms. Anything that is non utilitairian appeals to me, these days. The only, very small, thing I see that doesn't work is that it doesnt look like the inside of the vessel wasnt finished with any WOP or oil. Picture one looks like the inside is bare wood. Maybe its just the picture.
I have to date not turned anything utilitarian and see nothing on the horizon. The nearest I came was a small flower vase.

I have never finished the inside of my hollow forms, for better of for worse. Mostly I think this is due to the inability to cut or shear scrape the inside of these forms or sand to adequately prep them to receive the finish. Scraping, especially with this partially punkified burl leaves a rather unsatisfactory surface so until I can learn of a better way to prep the inside of these type of forms, I leave them natural. I have thought a lot about using a hook or ring tool but have as yet mustered the courage. Any suggestions? (for using the hook tool, better interior prep or inside finishing).

Very pretty piece, Kinda reminds me of John's pitcher he just made.
I love John's pitcher but was not even on my mind during the forming of this piece. Perhaps had I been thinking, I could have altered the angle a bit and made a squat pitcher.

Thank you all for the nice comments. Now back to the flatwork. Today I tried something new; I cut granite on my table saw - very successfully!

Scott Hackler
12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
What I generally do on all my HFs or any non bowl type form (because i use oil a lot in finishing) is to pour the BLO or tung oil inside, rotate the blank so that all the internal surfaces ars coated and then soak up the extra with paper towels. While I know the inside of most of my HFs aren't silky smooth, like the outside, I do have a consistant color everywhere on and inside the piece. Just what I do and prefer.

Tim Thiebaut
12-14-2010, 1:05 AM
That is absolutly beautiful! What is BLM ?? Is that the type of wood that is?

David E Keller
12-14-2010, 8:17 PM
BLM is big leaf maple.

David Reed
12-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I will have to consider a variant of this but, as you can see, few of my turnings will hold water, or BLO.