PDA

View Full Version : help with hollowing

Harvey M. Taylor
12-13-2010, 12:08 AM
I have the Monster art. arm hollowing rig. I have Jeff Nichol's steadyrest. The steadyrest is set up to use 3 or 4 wheels. When hollowing, the wheel on the left or the top wheel interferes with the laser showing the position of the knife on the inside. How do you folks with a similar setup cope with this problem. I have only hollowed 2 pieces with mine, but dont know how to handle this problem.Any suggestions?Thanks, Max.

Steve Schlumpf
12-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Max - when it gets to that point that the upper left wheel interferes with viewing the laser dot - I simply pull that arm/wheel back out of the way. That still leaves 3 other arms supporting the turning and I have never had a problem doing that.

Gary Max
12-13-2010, 1:30 AM
Yup----what he said

Jeff Nicol
12-13-2010, 7:15 AM
Max, Did I make yours with the moveable bracket in the 10 o'clock position? If not like Steve said you can remove that arm but the tube of the bracket is still in the way if the laser arm does not clear the ring enough. I have not used any of the laser systems as of yet (Have to make one) so I am not sure of how it all goes, but I have seen soom where the laser arm goes through the ring and some that go over the ring. So if the riser part of the laser support could be taller would that allow the laser to pass over the top and not hit the arm? I guess I need to mock something up to find the perfect solution, maybe and articulated arm for the laser so it can be made to go around the arm and stll keep the position on the HF.

More to think about!

Good luck,

Jeff

John Keeton
12-13-2010, 7:24 AM
Like Steve and Gary, I just withdraw the offending wheel while in that area of the form.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-13-2010, 7:41 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Didnt want to mess things up, but if that is safe will proceed accordingly.
Jeff:The 4 holding brackets are welded on, the top is applied2 with a
llen screw. Yes, the laser can be moved up or down to go over or under the rest.
54 degrees expected today, so more shop time. Thanks again to all, Max