PDA

View Full Version : 1st footed bowl

Scott Hackler
12-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I wanted to try something I had not yet done, so I turned a footed bowl. This bowl's shape is kinda different looking For some reason I keep thinking Viking bowl or something. It is Hackberry with tung oil finish. The bowl is 8" wide and 4" tall. 1/8" thick walls going up to 1/4" thick on the bottom. The 4 little feet are about 1/2" tall and carved from the blank. This process was very new to me and I am unsure about the results. It was a learning experience for sure. I dont know if I am going to rush right out there and start making footed bowls, but it was a challenge that I wanted to do.

Comment away.... Thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Scott,

I like your footed bowl. I may have to try one of those in the future.

Richard Madden
12-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Very nice, Scott, I like it. Good shape and the burn lines add a nice contrast. Footed bowls like this are on my list of things to try. Sounds like you like challenges too.

Fred Belknap
12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Looks good. Haven't seen very many bowls like that. Gives me some ideas.
Fred

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2010, 1:34 AM
Very nice bowl Scott, you did well on it, .......... the feet, well my initial gut feeling is that they are too small and close together, it just feels not right to me, but that is just me of course, others might find it just fine, whatever another one under your belt to use again some other day ;-))

John Keeton
12-13-2010, 7:21 AM
Scott, the form of this bowl is very appealing to me, and you did a very nice job with it. We are surrounded by hackberry trees, but I have yet to turn any. Some have posted spalted hackberry that is just unbelievably beautiful - this piece looks like it may have been headed that direction.

On the feet, you did a good job of executing these - I have not tried this yet. I do agree with Leo, though. A normal foot on a bowl elevates what might otherwise be a squatty looking form. On these carved feet, the idea is more of a suspension of the form, and IMO having wider positioned feet accomplishes a sense of stability a little better.

Nonetheless, you did a very nice job with this one!!

David E Keller
12-13-2010, 8:34 AM
I like it. That space between the two dark lines would be a perfect canvas for a little pyro on a future form. I gotta try one of these when the shop gets operational.

charlie knighton
12-13-2010, 8:52 AM
very nice....

bob svoboda
12-13-2010, 9:39 AM
Very nice, Scott. May have to copy that one day.

Baxter Smith
12-13-2010, 9:56 AM
Very nice bowl Scott. The wood is pretty and does have that Norse look about it. JMO but my first thought was that the feet look a little close together for the size of the bowl. Almost make it look tippy instead of more stable. I have only tried it once with 3 feet on a green piece so it wouldn't rock if it warped or I didn't do it very well!

Scott Hackler
12-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I like it. That space between the two dark lines would be a perfect canvas for a little pyro on a future form. I gotta try one of these when the shop gets operational.

David, if I owned any pyro equipment other than a standard $10 wood burner I would have decorated it! Maybe Santa will bring me one for X-mas!

Scott Hackler
12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the comments. The feet should have been wider for appearance, but it is surprisingly stable as is. The shape of the bowl is new for me and like David suggested, its prime for the pyro pen or maybe some piercing. I would not discount that this one will not see a future treatment as more "must have" tools get purhased! :)

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Build one Scott, it isn't hard at all, might take time you don't have of course :-)
If you have an car battery charger (the old non electronic kind) a dimmer switch and some wiring you have all you need, I made one so I can still use the charger (if that is necessary).
I also made my own pen holder for that one, but you could use the ones made for the commercial burners.
Here are a couple of pictures, it is all very simple.
173656 173654 173657 173655

Mark Hubl
12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Nice bowl Scott. I just did my first form with feet. I have found through our club that feet are one of the "love em hate em" elements out there. I am neutral. Yours are good for a first effort. I think that since you did place them close together that maybe they are just a bit tall. A shorter, pointy form would look more organic and germane to your bowl and still provide lift.

Leo, Nice burner setup.

Scott Hackler
12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Leo,
That looks like a doable idea, but I have a couple questions.
If I am seeing this correctly... are you using the dimmer switch to lower the AC voltage to the batter charger?
And how do you prevent the pen from getting too hot to hold onto?
What kind of metal are you using for the "tip"?

Thanks

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2010, 2:29 PM
Scott, yes the AC power goes to the dimmer switch, the dimmer switch regulates the AC power that goes to the charger, and so the dimmer switch regulates also the power that comes out by regulating the power that goes in.
I used some NiChrome wire I had sitting around, thin wire does bend too easily when hot when you put any pressure on it while burning, the thicker wire worked best for me, and you can really get that wire hot (The wood would be squealing :))

173676 173677

Ron Stadler
12-13-2010, 3:56 PM
Beautiful form and excellent job for first footed bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
12-13-2010, 7:20 PM
Scott that is a beauty. I really like your form and the feet on it. Well done.

Jeff Nicol
12-14-2010, 6:58 AM
Scott, Looks good to me and I have only done one footed anything so far, but plans for more in the future! We are still digging out of the 22" of snow and now it is very cold at a balmy -18 this morning!

One the wire for the woodburning you can get it on e-bay pretty cheap and in random lengths and diameters. Leo's burner is one that is being used by many who don't want to shell out the money for a commericially made one and looks like it works well. I have found an item that I am in the process of building a pyro set-up and when I get it all perfected I will post the final result.

Keep on footen' it!
Jeff