PDA

View Full Version : making rubber stamps that stamp properly?

David Fairfield
12-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I've made a couple of rubber stamps for my business, but they don't seem to stamp very well, I have to whack them with a mallet to get a nice impression. :confused:

I just glued the rubber to a wood block. I guess I need some sort of substrate so it works better? What's it called and where do I get it (inexpensively) ? Thanks!

Dave

Doug Griffith
12-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Try Googling "cling cushion" and "ez mount cushion".

Rodne Gold
12-12-2010, 11:38 PM
The cheapest and easiest way is to buy one of those self inking stamps and laser the rubber pad provided with em. Colop , Trotec or the like.

John Noell
12-13-2010, 2:03 AM
It may just be the rubber. with good rubber, you can even glue the stamp to a wooden mount with contact cement and it works. We use double sided foam tape as it gives a bit more cushion and makes it easier to get a good impression. Self-inkers are quite nice but they are not as cheap.

Andrea Weissenseel
12-13-2010, 3:22 AM
David, you can use FunFoam and double sided tape to mount these. The cushions or foam with the cling effect are too expensive and they do not work with wooden bases. For my own stamps I also use the self inking stamps, thats a lot cleaner and you don't need a separate inkpad - the rubber is usually not provided with it (at least in Germany it's not)

Andrea

Viktor Voroncov
12-13-2010, 1:00 PM
Are you sure that problem is between rubber and furniture? May be problem is in rubber? Engraving settings?

Andrea Weissenseel
12-14-2010, 2:22 AM
Most likely Victor, self inking stamps have springs which take the pressure off the rubber - you get the same effect, if you use a cushion between your wooden base and the rubber. Rubber and settings might be an issue too. I for instance engrave the shoulders of my stamps rather concave than convex

Bill Cunningham
12-14-2010, 9:57 PM
Hi,

I've made a couple of rubber stamps for my business, but they don't seem to stamp very well, I have to whack them with a mallet to get a nice impression. :confused:

I just glued the rubber to a wood block. I guess I need some sort of substrate so it works better? What's it called and where do I get it (inexpensively) ? Thanks!

Dave

Epilog has a very good stamp driver, just follow the instructions in your manual. With a 35 watt machine, your probably going to be etching your stamp @ 600 dpi, 100% power, and 8-10 % speed, with the vector cut set at about 15% using the combined raster/vector setting.. Call up one of the stamp suppliers, (Millennium Marking Products (http://www.millmarking.com/)) and ask for a sample of the low odor rubber, and perhaps the engravable stamp polymer. They usually will send you a 8x10 sheet to test..

David Fairfield
12-15-2010, 8:41 AM
Hi guys, thanks so much for the info! Yes, I used the Epilog stamp format, and the rubber does look exactly like a rubber stamp should look. I tried Andrea's suggestion, added a little fun-foam from the craft store as padding between the plywood and the stamp, and it works! I love a quick, inexpensive fix! Danke!

I tried to respond earlier, but this new forum format is hard on my eyes somehow and I accidentally deleted a reply.

Dave

Ben Levesque
12-16-2010, 9:53 AM
Hi David
I always use "polymer" for all my stamps I do for my wife scrap-booking needs, it work very well, does not smell too much and does not clog my machine as what regular rubber would do to it, and they stamps real nice!

It's the transparent yellow product. yes, it's more expensive but the results are great.
http://www.rubberstampmaterials.com/browseproducts/Laser-Engravable-Rubber---Polymer.HTML

Ben