PDA

View Full Version : Extending extension table

Mark Hultzapple
12-12-2010, 9:58 PM
Good Evening everyone, I currently have a 4ft round oak dining room table, single pedestal that extends to 4X6 Oval using two leaves to seat eight. Our family is getting bigger and my wife would like a larger table for the holidays. I really like the table we have rather than buy larger. I would like to extend this one further.

To do this I think I will have to split the pedestal in two parts and and somehow spread for stability. I will also need some extension rails that spread further. Has anyone out there done this? I could use some advice. I.E. where to get hardware, wood extensions, how to configure the pedestal to lock together etc.? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dan Rude
12-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I have an old oak table that I need to restore, it has a set of fold down legs to use with the table expansion. They fold up underneath the table. I have to make leaves for mine, since they are not with the table. Hope this helps.

Bob Landel
12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Mark,
We have such a table! It is round with 5 or 6 leaves and a split pedestal on wheels. We seat 11 for holiday dinners. It was originally owned by my wife's grandparents. We have a picture of the table which dates back, I guess, to at least 1920. The wood extenders look very similar to what is available today. Remind me to send you some pictures showing the workings.

Mark Hultzapple
12-13-2010, 8:03 PM
Thanks for the response guys.
Dan, I hadn't thought about fold down legs. That would solve the stability problem rather simply. I still have the issue of the current extensions only extending far enough for two leaves. I have to find other exensions or add to the current ones to extend another couple feet.

Bob, I would be interested is seeing pictures of the workings of your table. What method did they use to lock the pedestal with all leaves removed? How long does the table extend and what is the length of the extension framework underneath? Is the table "tippy" when fully extended? How far does the pedestal separate when fully extended? Thanks in advance

Bob Landel
12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Mark, sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. My wife is using the table to wrap Christmas presents, however I will try and include some pictures. Our table without leaves is 45" round. It does have six leaves 9" wide each. The extenders are offered by Woodcraft, Rockler, Osbourne, and Classic Design in Vermont.174101174103174109174105174107174108174104

Bob Landel
12-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Mark, I wanted to add some details on the table. It was refiniished in Eastern Washington by my mother in law. In fact, the table spent about 70 years of its life in LaCrosse, Washington. My pictures show only 5 leaves. We use the sixth leaf when the family gets together. It is fairly stable even with the wheels and all the leaf extensions. The split pedestal is unique. I wonder what kind of drilling equipment they used to get the steel threaded rod holes so straight over two feet of fairly thin wood. Big drill press?

I would love to know where the table was manufactured and by whom. The family rumor is Sears. Again this is a 1910 to 1920 dining table.