PDA

View Full Version : Poplar -- Firewood

Gary Max
12-12-2010, 7:34 PM
Half the Poplar log went into the wood burner but the other side ended up on my lathe.
Lots of color from mineral staining and the knot hole. It made a nice vase.

Richard Madden
12-12-2010, 7:40 PM
Looks good, Gary. How many varieties of poplar are there? I posted pics of Tulipwood Poplar, and I've heard of Yellow Poplar, how many others??

David E Keller
12-12-2010, 7:43 PM
That's a great looking piece of wood. Nicely done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2010, 7:45 PM
That's a pretty cool vase Gary! Love how you can see right down into the grain!

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 8:03 PM
Thats a neat vase Gary. Has great color at least for now. I used some Tulip Poplar for my kitchen cabinets and some paneling. Lots of green, purple and black to start, though the green and purple have changed to brown with time. Wonder if yours will do the same. Just pull it out into the light for special occasions!

gary Zimmel
12-12-2010, 8:08 PM
Too bad both sides didn't end up on your lathe Gary.
It sure made up a nice vase...

Gary Max
12-12-2010, 9:12 PM
Looks good, Gary. How many varieties of poplar are there? I posted pics of Tulipwood Poplar, and I've heard of Yellow Poplar, how many others??

I have a small collection of really different poplar----all the same wood yet very different. Most of this color will stay because it is stained by nature.

John Keeton
12-12-2010, 9:53 PM
Really a rustic look on this one, Gary - great color, and fits the theme of the wood. Excellent work!

BTW, Richard, Tulip Poplar (tulipwood) and Yellow Poplar are one and the same - the KY state tree!! Except for cultivars, I believe the US has only one poplar tree that is native to this country.