PDA

View Full Version : Need advice quick on how to deal with cold on new desk finish...

Clisby Clark
12-12-2010, 4:50 PM
I'm finishing a cherry desk. Utlraseal shellac-2 coats and will apply my second coat of EM8000 after I finish typing this. I'm not sure if I will want to apply a third coat yet. Here's my dilema. My shop is around 60 now because I have my wood stove going but I cannot keep it going all night and the shop will get down to about 40 by the morning. Will this hurt my finish if I decide to put a third coat on? I read on the can to sand before recoating if you allow 12+hours to pass between coats. I could bring all the parts inside the house, but don't really want to unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the help as always

Jim Becker
12-12-2010, 5:31 PM
Personally, I'd spray the coat and after about a hour, move the pieces into the house to cure in the warmth.

Steve Schoene
12-12-2010, 6:12 PM
I agree with Jim. 60° is already pretty close to the line for waterborne finishes so I wouldn't let it stay in temp's going down to 40° until it had cured for several days at least. Also note: times are generally based on temperatures between 70° and 77° and curing will take longer as the temperature drops.

Scott Holmes
12-12-2010, 9:42 PM
I too say bring it in the house for a few days at the least. Don't let you EM8000 freeze while it's in the shop.