PDA

View Full Version : Playing Around With Piercing and Pyrography (Go Razorbacks!)

Jeff Paxton
12-12-2010, 4:43 PM
I watched the Binh Phoh DVD on piercing and used his technique for the thin walled bowl. This is made out of cherry to about 1/16 of an inch. I used the Presto to to pierce and cut out the words ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS. I started to cut out the hogs on the side, but I chose to burn them. May cut out the next one, wasn't sure how it would look with nothing dark behind it.

Would love to airbrush the the letters red, and add some color to the hogs, but I need to work on my piercing techniques first. Was really fun. I do a lot of scroll work, and all the Razorback items do well in my booth. Not sure how this one will fare, but I may take it down this week in time for a Christmas sale perhaps. Only negative is that the bowl is extremely fragile.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 5:09 PM
That is a really cool idea! I could see some rich alumnus making it well worth your while!

Michael James
12-12-2010, 6:40 PM
That is too cool and looks like it might have been fun to make. Lots of bench time there, on some very nice work! I used to do some of that type lettering on the scroll saw and never made it without at least one glue up repair to hide!
mj

Ray Bell
12-12-2010, 6:55 PM
Very neat. Looks like a lot of tedious work well done. BTW-- GO OREGON!!

Bill Bolen
12-12-2010, 7:43 PM
What a great piece but...Go Tigers!

David E Keller
12-12-2010, 7:45 PM
Fantastic! As a avid Razorback fan myself, I'd love to have something like that. Beat the Buckeyes!

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2010, 7:50 PM
Jeff - WOW! Looks like the DVD worked! Nice work on getting the piece down to an even 1/16" first and also on your lettering! Pretty cool!

I hope your hockey team does well!

bobby lynn
12-12-2010, 7:51 PM
woo pig sooie

Cathy Schaewe
12-12-2010, 7:54 PM
Hockey? I thought it was lacrosse ... :)

Mark Hubl
12-12-2010, 8:03 PM
Excellent! Looks like you got a lot out of Binh's teaching. The piercing and pyro is wonderful, but I am not overlooking the shape and thinness. Sometimes I think thinness is over rated, but on these type of pieces it is all about the thinness. All I can say is good job, cause I don't know no hog calls!