PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bowl

Fred Belknap
12-12-2010, 4:16 PM
I just finished this, it has two coats of wop and will probably give it a couple more. Give me your opinions good or bad.

Fred

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2010, 4:37 PM
Interesting design Fred! Nice contrast in woods and the way the lid sits on the form gives it a slight oriental feel. Cool!

Any chance we could get a photo with the finial/lid removed?

Fred Belknap
12-12-2010, 5:08 PM
Interesting design Fred! Nice contrast in woods and the way the lid sits on the form gives it a slight oriental feel. Cool!

Any chance we could get a photo with the finial/lid removed?
I'm not to good at getting these pictures where I want them. Hope this works . 173588

Roger Chandler
12-12-2010, 5:15 PM
Fred,

I like it! a different form.......is this the first from your "mean green machine?" Nice form, good finish. I agree with Steve that the overhang on the lid is a little like oriental shapes. Very nice! The two woods work together on this one.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 5:15 PM
Wasn't sure the first time I looked at this and its about the same now.:) I like the bowl without the lid better. The lid and knob are fine too, but I don't especailly care for both the color and grain between the lid and the bowl being different. Its just me but sometimes more than two different woods/colors in a turning just compete too much for my attention.

Don Alexander
12-12-2010, 5:57 PM
i'm with Baxter on liking it without the lid better though the lid itself is pretty cool i like the bowl with the apples in it alot too :-0

charlie knighton
12-12-2010, 7:40 PM
very nice, good to see you using the new lathe

David E Keller
12-12-2010, 8:05 PM
Interesting form! The finish looks great, but I'm not sure about the wood combo.

Allen stagg
12-12-2010, 8:11 PM
Go figure, I like it like it is. Different but to me, pleasing.

Ron Stadler
12-12-2010, 9:29 PM
Very nice looking bowl, and the finish is superb.

John Keeton
12-12-2010, 9:38 PM
Fred, it has a certain uniqueness to it, and definitely not something one sees everyday. I kind of like it, though I do think it works as well without the lid and finial. The whole lid/finial thing is so strikingly different than the form that the grain/color/wood combo doesn't bother me. I think one needs to look at this one as more of a unique piece, so the rules don't fit.

Allan Ferguson
12-12-2010, 10:06 PM
likes and dislikes in forms are very subjective. Just looking at the quality of workmanship, it is very impressive. This is my first post, and I often use different colors that I feel go together from a limited select that I have available. Use that which suits your eye.

James Combs
12-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I like it. Very unique and that is what I like about it. The great wood and excellent finish are givens.