PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Out & Buying New Jointer/Planer Combo

Steve H Graham
12-12-2010, 3:09 PM
For those who have been reading about my misadventures in guitar-making, I thought I'd post a progress note.

It looks like I may have succeeded in creating two chunks of wood which can be turned into a guitar. Not sure yet. I won't know until I rough out the shape.

I got a lot of great advice on face-jointing, and I bought a restored plane, and I got feed tables for my planer, but I still decided to cave in and get a compact jointer/planer. It happened after I watched Doug Stowe's box-making video. I saw him toss boards on his jointer and just SPEW them out, all jointed and pretty, in a few seconds, and I guess I lost my mind, because I decided right then and there that I had to make a change.

I am going to try the Rikon 10" combo. I have no use for the planer part, but people seem to like the machine, it's compact and easy to move, and the price is very low for a 10" jointer. I took a look at the Grizzly 10" combo, but everyone seems to hate it, and it's bigger and bulkier and has only 2 blades. If I had room, I'd watch Craigslist and wait for a big used jointer.

If anyone knows of any reason why I should run away from the Rikon, please let me know. The beds are short, but I'm not interested in large projects.

I was kind of hoping there would be a way to rig it to go up to 12" in a pinch. I've seen weird jigs people have made for the purpose of jointing wider lumber.

There's a member here who has posted stuff about his Rikon. He says this kind of machine is popular overseas. Just for fun, I checked Amazon.uk. Looks like there are a lot of these things on the market over there. I wonder why Americans don't like them.

Amazon link: weird jointer combos. (http://tinyurl.com/26dj8fs)

Victor Robinson
12-12-2010, 4:10 PM
Sounds like a plan, I'm sure you'll be happy. I don't have anything else to add, but that's a nice looking Grey in your avatar. Yours?

Steve H Graham
12-12-2010, 5:05 PM
That's Marvin. My woodworking coach.

Jaze Derr
12-12-2010, 5:15 PM
LOL, I looked at that Amazon link...and it's just too strange. My brain can't handle metric!!

Staring at the pictures and trying to decipher what size it is is frying my brain.

Jay Allen
12-12-2010, 5:21 PM
. He says this kind of machine is popular overseas. Just for fun, I checked Amazon.uk. Looks like there are a lot of these things on the market over there. I wonder why Americans don't like them.

The combo machines are popular on Europe, but for some reason there seems to be a delay in the American market. They have safety rules (and machines equipped to comply with them) that we don't have here.
The "riving knife" thing was there first and it just now being worked into this market. But only because it's a good idea, not a law.
They also use a very short rip fence on table saws. The way I understand it, the fence cannot extend past the trailing edge of the blade. Apparently the thinking is that this would give clearence for the wood to "move" if it wanted to "open up" in the kerf, rather than binding against the blade.

Victor Robinson
12-12-2010, 6:11 PM
That's Marvin. My woodworking coach.

Greys are smart, but not THAT smart. :) Maybe that's your problem...

Gary Lang
12-12-2010, 6:54 PM
I purchased the Rikon 25-010 10” combo several weeks ago and after much ado I am pleased with the results I’ve obtained in jointing and planing both pine and walnut for boxes I’m making as Xmas presents.

I chose to purchase this from Amazon as the shipping was free, the price $20 less than the local Woodcraft store and I saved the $90 sales tax. Good deal huh? Well maybe. The box, 168 lbs. shipped via Pilot arrived 5 days later in good shape. The contents however were not. The packing Rikon uses is akin to paper honeycombs that in my opinion are inadequate to protect an item this heavy. The packing was crushed and everything in the box was tumbling around loose inside a cardboard box which showed no signs of abuse. Two of the rivets holding the lower four corners of the housing had sheared allowing those particular corners to bend. I had to reform those corners in order to replace the rivets with bolts. The case paint is scratched and abraded in numerous places. The plastic cover over the belts as well as the small plastic cup attached to this cover are both cracked as they had shifted on their mounting posts which had also bent. The power on off switch was mashed into the case which not only broke the paddle but forced the switch into the lower housing as well therefore I believe the switch itself is also broken. The dust collection chute was bent and required reforming to function properly. I suppose I could have called Amazon and returned it as they have a good return policy but there appeared to be no damage that would affect the operation so I elected to deal with it figuring I would call Rikon, explain the situation, and they would send me a new plastic belt cover and power switch. Uh, not happening. Rikon’s response was to quote:

Hello Gary,

Sorry to hear that this was delivered to you in this condition. The packaging is quite sufficient for delivery by LTL truck on a pallet, not by FedEx or UPS. Can you tell us who delivered the unit? Also, did you note any damages with the shipper upon receipt? Did you have the option to refuse the shipment or was it released without signature? Was Amazon contacted regarding these damages?

The damages sound extensive. We will try our best to send the required parts.

Regards,
Rod Burrow
Vice President
Tech Support/Customer Service
RIKON Power Tools

Needless to say they’ve sent me nothing yet. This did not instill much confidence in Rikon. If I could do this over I would spend the extra money, purchase from Woodcraft or another local retailer and inspect the contents before taking it with me. My bad.

The manual is terrible and the pictures match an earlier model which creates some confusion. I took about 4-5 hours to assemble allowing maybe an hour for damage repair in my case. The outfeed table would not adjust properly without filing the brackets that holds it in place. The knives required height adjustment to match the specs defined in the manual but all in all I wound up learning the equipment better in the process. It does require a dust collector in order to use the planer in order that the prodigious chips produced don’t reenter the cutter and mar the piece. The jointer benefits from a collector but doesn’t require one.

One future concern is it seems that replacement knives are only available direct from Rikon and after my experience with them…………….

If you need a mobile base, Rikon’s is overpriced at $100. I purchased a Woodriver mobile base from Woodcraft for $40 that works just fine.

Hope this helps you with your decision

Steve H Graham
12-12-2010, 7:41 PM
Good info to have. I don't suppose you have a photo of the mobile base?

Steve H Graham
12-12-2010, 7:43 PM
Never mind. I found it.

Jeff Duncan
12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Just curious as to whether you've seen this machine in person or are just ordering it blind based on price/online opinions?

I took a very quick look at one and thought it was pretty lightweight and rough around the edges. Of course for the price you can't expect too much more.
I'm not going to advise you on whether or not it's a good fit for you, only you can decide that. I only want to recommend taking a good look at whichever machine your going to plunk down cash for.

As for the popularity of these machines overseas I can only render a guess. My thinking is that shops overseas may be smaller, remember Americans like to do everything BIG! Smaller shops require more space conserving tactics. Whereas over here it's usually more about practicality and speed. Having said that if I was just doing this as a hobby, I'd probably be really interested in a good quality combo machine myself.

good luck,
JeffD

Rod Sheridan
12-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi, combination jointer/planers are increasing in popularity in North America for a couple of reasons.

1) A good quality machine such as the Hammer A3-31 or MiniMax equivalent is about the same price as North American 8" jointer, yet you receive a 12" jointer with tersa type knives. The planer is free.

2) The Euro combination machines are high quality, high performance machines with factory support.

I happen to own an A3-31 and it's fantastic, excellent jointer performance with a 31cm width (12") coupled with a planer that has zero snipe and the ability to take 4mm deep cuts.

The quick change knife system allows you to change knives in about 5 minutes total with no adjustment or calibration required.

The 3Kw motor (4 HP) is powerful.

The increasing popularity of the Euro machines is due to their space savings, performance, quality and value.

Machines such as the A3 can be fitted with extension tables and digital planer height displays.

Those of us who have purchased a Felder/Hammer/MiniMax machine have been extremely pleased with the machines.

I personally would stay away from the 10" Rikon and go with a Euro machine.

Regards, Rod.

Steve H Graham
12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
A good quality machine such as the Hammer A3-31 or MiniMax equivalent is about the same price as North American 8" jointer

You recommended the Hammer in an earlier thread, but as I noted, it costs four thousand dollars. It would cost at least $600 more to get it placed in my garage. Some people consider that expensive for a hobby machine. Even if it were free, it's still way too big. It's 50% longer than the Rikon.

I might as well buy a Bentley with a jointing attachment. If I wanted to spend that kind of money and give up that much space, I'd probably get an overhead router instead.

I only want to recommend taking a good look at whichever machine your going to plunk down cash for.

Good advice. Wish I could. One of the bad things about life in Miami is that no one here knows how to do anything. Craftsmen have been displaced by cheap, hungry immigrant labor. There are virtually no craftsmen or artisans here, and as a result, there are very few places that stock good tools. The nearest Woodcraft is way up the coast, and they don't stock the Rikon.

It's amazing how lame this city is, when it comes to tools and skilled labor. If you want to get anything done right, you have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale.

I guess I'll check the Rikon out, and if it sucks, back it goes.