PDA

View Full Version : Shell and Acanthus leaves

Mark Yundt
12-12-2010, 1:22 PM
While decorating for the Holidays I had to temporarily remove this carving. While I had it down I figured I'd just snap a photo and post it. It sits on a frame around an archway between the living room and the dining room. This carving faces the dining room, and on the other side is my family's coat of arms, dated to the early 1400's , and it is on the living room side and seen when entering the house.
I did it out of Basswood and it's in three parts, Shell and two side pieces.The main shell is 14" high and the overall carving is 4 ft wide. The very lower leaves spilling out of the shell overhang the molding. It gets hidden here with the Spray of Evergreen and Egyptian glass ornaments, but you get the idea as it's the same as the Coat of Arms side, just the opposite wall.

The coat of arms is also done in Basswood but painted. I wanted to keep an "old world" look to it so I used some antiquing etc. in the finish. I also made all the moldings, the coffered ceiling and the small Acanthus leaves in the reversed corners.

John Shuk
12-13-2010, 8:53 AM
What exquisite work. Wonderful

Mark Yundt
12-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Thank you John! I had fun doing this piece. Shells and especially Acanthus leaves are some of my favorite designs to use. So versatile, you can get them to twist and turn to fill any space.