PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Installation Network ???

Glen Blanchard
12-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Back in June of this year, we moved from one north Dallas suburb to another, and I was fortunate enough to more than double the size of my shop in the process. As a result, I have upgraded some of my equipment with more upgrading in the plans. One of the first things I bought was an Oneida cyclone along with their ducting and accessories. I installed both the cyclone and the ducting to my three primary machines (table saw, jointer, and planer) but have significantly more ducting to install so as to feed my other tools. The problem is I HATE working with that stuff (the ducting). I would much rather spend my leisure time making sawdust.

So I said all that to ask this…..

Does Oneida by some chance have a professional network of installers? Someone I could pay to complete the task according to the schematic provided me by Oneida?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Glen,

I am not aware of any installation network they might have but it doesn't really take any super special skills if you have the schematics/drawings and the materials. I installed my 3 HP Gorilla and only needed help when I mounted the blower/fan assembly onto the rest of the cyclone which was already in it's final resting place.

I would think any body that is relatively handy could do it.

glenn bradley
12-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I would think any body that is relatively handy could do it.

I am sure Ken is not saying you are not handy :D:D:D. I too pay for certain tasks around the house to be done as my time is worth more than what I can pay someone to do things like plant a bush or fix the dishwasher. In our current economy I would expect there would be folks willing to take this on for a fair price. I would be very specific about what is to be done and how and what constitutes the job being complete and due for payment but, I feel that there are still reliable people out there.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2010, 1:07 PM
Glenn, I certainly didn't mean Glen wasn't handy! I simply meant that I don't think it takes any really special skills to install it.

Jim O'Dell
12-12-2010, 1:16 PM
First type of person that comes to my mind for ducting would be someone in the HVAC business. They should have the tools and knowledge to follow your plan. Jim.

Glen Blanchard
12-12-2010, 2:04 PM
First type of person that comes to my mind for ducting would be someone in the HVAC business. They should have the tools and knowledge to follow your plan. Jim.

Jim - That has been my thought as well, and that will probably be my first call. I just got to wondering if Oneida might have some kind of plan for folks who cannot or do not want to do it themselves.

Philip Rodriquez
12-13-2010, 9:20 AM
Look up "HVAC" or you may try "air handling." In my area, I found several companies that specialize in dust removal. However, I'd bet they are not cheap. In the end, I just ordered everything from Oneida and followed their drawings. To make things easier, bring a friend.

George Bregar
12-13-2010, 9:31 AM
Look up handyman in your local craigslist.

Matt Meiser
12-13-2010, 9:34 AM
I've been in manufacturing plants where there was an HVAC contractor installing dust/fume collection piping. But at $100 an hour installing your average DC system isn't going to be cheap. If you can find a few local woodworkers to help, you can knock it out pretty quick if you know what you want to do.

Steve Kohn
12-13-2010, 1:59 PM
Do you know a local contractor? Ask him to recommend a local tinknocker. That is a sheetmetal guy. The contractor should know of guys out of work that would be willing to take on the job.

Greg Portland
12-13-2010, 4:53 PM
A good HVAC person can do the work. However, since you are willing to shell out a bunch of $$$ can I recommend that you investigate Nordfab ductwork? The Norfab product is industrial and extremely heavy duty, it literally snaps together via rings and it allows you to easily re-configure your ductwork. I went that direction a few years ago and have since redone my ductwork design twice (it is rare for someone to design their shop the way they want the 1st time). The redesigns did not require reworking the entire system, buying new parts, fiddling with duct tape, cutting snap-lock pipe, bending fittings, etc., etc. Putting the ducts together literally took me 2-3 hours & most of that time was attaching the pipe to the ceiling.

I'll also mention that I didn't follow Oneida's plans and instead created three 6" drops for my entire system (each tool is mobile and moves in/out of a work area & has it's own 6" fitting). This saved quite a bit on the dust collection fittings (about 50%). With small tools I use a shopvac + downdraft table.