PDA

View Full Version : Tool techniques

Paul Lebel
12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Can anyone recommended a book or video on tool techniques.I seem to be having trouble with catches.Ie do you put the flut in the direction of cut.hold chisel 90 or 45 to object being turn etc. Thanks Paul

Kyle Iwamoto
12-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Let me reccomend 2 DVDs, or 2 persons. Bill Grumbines pair of DVD's are highly regarded on this Forum. I have both and they are great. Also, Lyle Jamieson, bowl basics is also great, IMO. He goes into a lot more of the details, in tools and presentation. He may be the DVD you want. CSUSA has them.

Oh, welcome!

Jim Burr
12-12-2010, 1:03 PM
Bill Grumbine or Mike Mahoney's DVD's are considered by many, including me, to be the turning Bible's.

Thom Sturgill
12-12-2010, 4:09 PM
I like Grumbine's videos and Mike Mahoneys 'Bowl Basics' is great also, but I prefer Jimmy Clewes' videos, especially his 'Back to Basics' for beginners. Bill Grumbine's covers everything from chainsaw to finish and Mahoney's deals quite a bit with gouge grinds.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2010, 4:40 PM
Paul - you didn't say what it is you are trying to turn. Spindle -vs- bowl as there are different tools and techniques to both.

If you are talking about bowls - then another vote for Bill Grumbine's - Turned Bowls Made Easy.

Brian Libby
12-12-2010, 7:17 PM
Lyle Jamieson's videos are also very good

Paul Lebel
12-12-2010, 8:06 PM
Im Sorry, i,m trying leaning how to turn bowl iv turn a couple some better than others.

joel nucifore
12-13-2010, 5:51 AM
I have the Lyle Jamisons if you would like I will put them out there for loan?????