PDA

View Full Version : I like this new software...

David DeCristoforo
12-12-2010, 11:36 AM
...it's much easier on the eyes. Thanx to Keith and co. for all the effort that went into this upgrade.

mike holden
12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Well David, this is one vote that cancels your vote. I find this new software difficult to read and poorly laid out. Hopefully the next upgrade will return to "ease of use" and "legibility"

Ron Jones near Indy
12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
The layout we will get accustomed to. I do find it extremely difficult to read due to a lack of contrast. And some of the fonts are entirely too small.

Gordon Thompson
12-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Well David, this is one vote that cancels your vote. I find this new software difficult to read and poorly laid out. Hopefully the next upgrade will return to "ease of use" and "legibility"

ditto......i can't figure out which thread are new to me yet.....there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the red and blue envelope icon....

Yuri Sadykov
12-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Do not like it ether. More wasted space for decoration and main content get lost. Poor layout and color palette.

alex carey
12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I tend to agree with the general theme in this thread, my first impressions are not great, but I think one day is entirely too soon to really judge this. We all have been accustomed to the same layout for a long time and it might just take a little while for our eyes to adjust and for us to figure out things like profile or which threads have been read and which haven't.

We oughta give it a month before we really make any big declaration.

John Keeton
12-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Guys, do keep in mind that there will be many "corrections" and debugging to come. I leave SMC open all the time on my computer, and I have simply done the "control key, mouse scroll" to enlarge the font. Seems to work fine. Aaron is working on the issue of the "new posts" and I think the rest of it is just using it for a few days until it becomes comfortable. Won't be long before we will all be at home with it!!

David DeCristoforo
12-12-2010, 1:18 PM
"...which threads have been read and which haven't..."

Dont know what you are seeing but the unread threads are bold faced and very easy to differentiate. I do agree that the "envelope" icons are a bit dippy looking but other than that, I like it...

Paul Douglass
12-12-2010, 2:22 PM
No problem here after Steve to me how to enlarge the font to accommodate my warn out eyes.

James White
12-12-2010, 2:26 PM
I for one hope that this version will allow you to stay logged in longer. I also always keep SMC open on my PC and find it annoying to have to log in all the time.

James

Bill Bolen
12-12-2010, 2:26 PM
Hey John, thanks for the tip on enlarging the script! I can see now:)
Bill

John Keeton
12-12-2010, 2:30 PM
I for one hope that this version will allow you to stay logged in longer. I also always keep SMC open on my PC and find it annoying to have to log in all the time.

JamesJames, I used to have this problem with the computer prior to the one I have now. I don't think that is an issue with the SMC software, as mine stays up all the time and I don't have to log back in.

Alan Trout
12-12-2010, 3:32 PM
I am fine with it. Looks good, I like the color and seems a little cleaner to me. But that is just me. Sometimes progress hurts.

Alan

Michael James
12-12-2010, 4:12 PM
Different here thats all. Im just here for the "intel" anyway.... keep it coming, as I have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to get to "there"!
mj

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2010, 4:31 PM
I agree with you David - much easier on the eyes!

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2010, 6:15 PM
Thanks John for the tip on making the page and fonts larger. Helps.

alex carey
12-12-2010, 8:31 PM
James, like Keeton said that is probably on your end. I often go weeks without having to log back in.

Richard Madden
12-12-2010, 9:17 PM
Hey John, thanks for the tip on enlarging the script! I can see now:)
Bill
Thanks from me too!

Darius Ferlas
12-12-2010, 9:37 PM
Looks nice and gentle, but to my eyes it somehow washes out distinctions between posts and various elements within posts. As usual though, the issue may not be with getting used to the new theme but with forgetting tho old one.

Oh, and another way to fiddle with font sizes is using the scroll wheel while holding the CTRL button down.

Scott Hackler
12-12-2010, 9:41 PM
This is definitely different looking. I cant say that I totally like the light background. The legibility, IMO, has decreased. Most of the forums I am a member of, have an option in the user controls to change the "theme" to something more towards the individual taste. Having a couple color / contrast choices would be a nice future addition.

David Stratton
12-12-2010, 10:03 PM
The thing I miss most is getting to the bottom of the page and not having the spot to click on that would take me straight back to the forum I was in, namely the Turners Forum. There is a spot at the bottom of the new one but clicking on it brings up a drop down and in order to get where I want I have to scroll down to see it. It would seem logical to simply take be back to the top of the forum I was browsing rather than making me choose from a drop down menu.

James Combs
12-12-2010, 10:06 PM
James, I used to have this problem with the computer prior to the one I have now. I don't think that is an issue with the SMC software, as mine stays up all the time and I don't have to log back in.

Could it be just a mater of checking the "Remember Me" box. I never have to log in if I have checked that box at my initial log in. I had to log in this time with the new software but I checked the box again and if it works like it always has for me I won't have to log in again even if I shut my system down.

Maylon Harvey
12-12-2010, 11:15 PM
The thing I miss most is getting to the bottom of the page and not having the spot to click on that would take me straight back to the forum I was in, namely the Turners Forum. There is a spot at the bottom of the new one but clicking on it brings up a drop down and in order to get where I want I have to scroll down to see it. It would seem logical to simply take be back to the top of the forum I was browsing rather than making me choose from a drop down menu.

----Ditto-----

John Keeton
12-13-2010, 7:33 AM
The thing I miss most is getting to the bottom of the page and not having the spot to click on that would take me straight back to the forum I was in, namely the Turners Forum. There is a spot at the bottom of the new one but clicking on it brings up a drop down and in order to get where I want I have to scroll down to see it. It would seem logical to simply take be back to the top of the forum I was browsing rather than making me choose from a drop down menu.David, I have my options set to linear mode with the latest post at the top. When I want to return to the Turners forum, I just go to the top and click Turners Forum in the "map" of where you are located just above the Reply button.