PDA

View Full Version : Dovetails

John Kendall
12-12-2010, 9:50 AM
After several hours of practice and experimenting with my dovetail jig (Leigh D4) I was able to accomplish what I thought was going to be the impossible!

Now to finish the drawer...

173553 (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/Tralfaz59/drawersides.jpg)

doug faist
12-12-2010, 9:55 AM
John - those dovetails look great, congratulations! I can't quite make out from the picture how the drawer works. Do you have a larger picture or maybe a drawing of sorts.

Have fun with your project.
Doug

John Kendall
12-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I hope to have it assembled today. So if all goes well, I'll post another picture.

Kent E. Matthew
12-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I am at the exact same place. I just need to buy a planer before I can continue.

Ted Wong
12-12-2010, 1:24 PM
Not sure what is going on there but nice fit. A bit of aesthetic criticism though, the opposing grain direction is somewhat of a distraction and structurally the grain orientation doesn't make a lot of sense when with regards to the tails being cut in short grain.

Matt Mackinnon
12-12-2010, 1:38 PM
Not sure what is going on there but nice fit. A bit of aesthetic criticism though,

I don't know if I would call it an aesthetic criticism, as the problem is a structural one. with the board being cut with the short grain, any amount of force will just rip the tails straight off.

To properly understand, I think we need to see a bit more of how this goes together. For strength you might have been better with a mortise and tenon or even dowel or biscuit joint. But it does look funky.

Matt.

p.s. Love my D4 jig. couldn't cut dovetails without it.

Mark Bolton
12-12-2010, 1:40 PM
Looks to me like that is going to be a tall front drawer/pullout perhaps for a trash can, laundry basket, or something. Can only assume but there is likely to be a full front on there and the verticals are the gussets? In this case there would be little load on the tails. Will make for a nice treat when you pull the drawer out.

Mark

John Kendall
12-12-2010, 9:52 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting it all together. It has been an experiment from the start.

It is going to be a tall front drawer that will hopefully have laundry basket(s) sitting in it.

I haven't installed the doors to the front yet. once I get the Blumotion hardware in place, I'll see how well it can stand the test.