PDA

View Full Version : Maine Maple Burl & Apple HF

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 12:02 AM
My cousin found and saved this maple burl for me as he was cutting up some logs for firewood this fall.

He had cut and hauled out the logs a couple winters ago so it seemed relatively dry. I turned and hollowed it in one sitting then stuck it in a bag for a month. When turning it, I established the top and bottom then got what I thought was a pleasing shape. I had envisioned in my mind a perfectly smooth top to start with, but there was a slight NE depression in there. Although it only amounted to small area, I couldn’t leave well enough alone so foolishly took it down to get that smooth top. As a result, the shoulder got lowered and the top half got flattened. Since I didn’t lower the top opening accordingly, I am not real pleased with the shape. Live and learn.

Got it out last week, trued up the top and bottom just a bit then sanded.
Since the body was kind of short and chunky, I made the finial and pedestal to match. As usual, everything seems to get fatter when taken off the lathe, so I think both onions are too big.
They are made from some apple that my uncle had saved but never gotten to turn. I had made some bowls and biscuit cutters from it so only had a few scrap pieces left. I think the pedestal should have been a bit taller but wanted to do a one piece and didn’t have anything longer. I have some more of that apple in Maine and could redo, but I will probably just move on to the next one.:)

12 x 6 x 3/16-1/8 with a 1 3/8 opening. I’m not very good on getting an even wall thickness. BLO, shellac and 5 coats of lacquer( though the first two were mostly sanded away) then buffed. Not too good at brushing lacquer either.:eek: The apple has a couple coats of AO. That I can handle.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Ken Hill
12-12-2010, 2:04 AM
I like it, and it doesnt look to out of porportion to me.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2010, 2:04 AM
Nice piece of wood Baxter, but yes I concur with your assessment of the form, :-(

John Keeton
12-12-2010, 7:15 AM
Baxter, I will agree on the form, but it sure is a very nice piece of wood.

On the other hand, that is some seriously great work on the pedestal and finial!! Beautifully done, and I love that wood - so very warm.

Richard Madden
12-12-2010, 8:56 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself! I know we can be our own worst critics, but you should be proud of what you have here. That is a beautiful piece of wood, turned very well, and the finial and pedestal very well done also, with some great detailing. And it all stayed together!! Heck, I'd be more than proud to display it here in my home. I'll send you my address.

Paul Douglass
12-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I really like this piece. The color and wood choices are very, well, the only work that quickly comes to mind is relaxing. Nice work.

charlie knighton
12-12-2010, 10:58 AM
very nice, we all do the live and learn

Mark Hubl
12-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Baxter,

The piece is good. I think you have identified where you would improve it. I have not tried apple, but have heard it can be difficult to work with. You have done a really good job on the individual elements, just missed a bit on the proportions. The work on the finials is very good. It is a challenge when you have a long design and a short piece of wood. None of the wood stretchers I have used over the years are worth the darn though! Good job.

Sean Hughto
12-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Looks better than all that to me, Baxter. The only thing that stands out to me is that it would have looked nice if the base disc was like two or three times larger in diameter.

gary Zimmel
12-12-2010, 11:31 AM
It's the little things that take a piece from very good to great.
I will be chasing the little things for a long time....

That being said, it's a sweet piece Baxter.

David E Keller
12-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with your assessment, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a nice looking piece. The detail work is really nice and crisp, and the finish looks great, too.

dan carter
12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Tie a ribbon around it, fill it with Christmas candy, and give it to a special person. :-) With the base onion pointing down, reminds me a of large HF ornament. I doubt I would have made the base like that, but it works. Where the base contacts the vessel, it seems abit large to me, but that is just my 2 cents. The wood is attractive, your finial is very nice indeed, the AO finish is looking good. Keep turning.

bob svoboda
12-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I may agree with your technical assessment of the form, but man, Baxter, it is still on beautiful piece. Love the pedestal and finial and the wood and finish are simply spectacular. I LIKE it.

Roland Martin
12-12-2010, 12:22 PM
At the end of the day Baxter, are we ever "completely" pleased with what we turn? Thank God!, that's what keeps us turning!:) I trully like this piece, the maple is stunning and the apple is a perfect contrast to the burl, very well done.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the comments. I would have replied individually to several of them but can't figure out how to do that in the new software.
Glad we agree on the form.:D I was just stuck on getting that "perfect top" and then wasn't flexible enough to move the top down. When I saw the shape was "questionable" I did some measuring and math to determine the shoulder was 61% of the height of the form. Almost close enough to 2/3 right?:rolleyes: Maybe I can hide it with a finial and pedestal.:o:) Better hurry up and get to the hollowing!

Ended up with something made from wood given to me by father and son so that part works! It will be traveling back to Maine shortly.

At the end of the day Baxter, are we ever "completely" pleased with what we turn? Thank God!, that's what keeps us turning!:) ........
Thanks Roland, not yet but I had hoped to be closer on this one!
Better go try again this afternoon.:D

John Keeton
12-12-2010, 1:25 PM
Baxter, the "multi-quote" icon is at the bottom far right, with the "quote sign and +". When you click it, you will get a "check mark" in each one clicked. Then, just do a reply as before.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 5:20 PM
Baxter, the "multi-quote" icon is at the bottom far right, with the "quote sign and +". When you click it, you will get a "check mark" in each one clicked. Then, just do a reply as before.

Thanks John! Didn't even notice that little symbol earlier. Guess it was too early for my trifocals to be working Takes me a while to catch on.:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2010, 5:58 PM
Baxter I somewhat agree with you but have to say that is one nice piece. Wood and finish look mighty fine.