PDA

View Full Version : Honey Locust Bowl

Curt Fuller
12-11-2010, 11:15 PM
This bowl is 12" x 4", sort of an ogee or sepentine outside shape with a little rim on the top. The wood is some Honey Locust crotch with a little bark inclusion in the rim and some really wild colors. Finished with Antique Oil (thanks JK) and buffed.

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Well that sure is some pretty wood! Nice form also! Real nice 'soft' finish!

Nice work Curt!

That was about all the comments I could think of that used the word 'nice'. So, now that I met my quota - I'll find another word to use to death!!!

I do like the bowl!

dan carter
12-11-2010, 11:44 PM
That wood has some real movement, nice job, Curt.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Great colors and a pleasing shape. The finish looks great and the sheen the AO gives is probably my favorite.

Ron Stadler
12-12-2010, 12:08 AM
I have a little honey locust myself, it really is some beautiful wood. Your bowl turned out really nice.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-12-2010, 1:58 AM
I like that bowl Curt, the bowl coming up past the rim looks good on it, and yes the crotch makes for some real wild swirling grain and color mixing, well done ;-))

John Keeton
12-12-2010, 7:10 AM
Curt, I like this one! Beautiful wood! When you say Honey Locust, is that a domestic tree? We have a lot of Black Locust in this part of the country, which I think is very similar. Most of ours are very thorny, and get a blight early on that causes the middle to rot out. Very rare to see a mature healthy tree one could get a bowl from.

David Reed
12-12-2010, 10:24 AM
there is indeed a lot going on in this chunk of wood and you have revealed it in a terrific manner. I especially like the ogee shape. Although I also like the inner rim detail as it is, I would also like to see how it would look with the ogee mirrored on the inside, quite lovely as it is.

Curt Fuller
12-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone!

Beautiful wood! When you say Honey Locust, is that a domestic tree? We have a lot of Black Locust in this part of the country, which I think is very similar. Most of ours are very thorny, and get a blight early on that causes the middle to rot out. Very rare to see a mature healthy tree one could get a bowl from.
John, this wood came from the local green waste yard so I'm just identifying it from the bark. But it's what I've always know as honey locust and it's a fairly common "yard" tree here because it's drought tolerant and cold tolerant. It's also somewhat thorny and grows the long bean shaped seeds. We have some black locust here too but I've had the same experience with it being rotten inside and it's much harder wood. It has a different color too, more greenish in the wood.

charlie knighton
12-12-2010, 11:00 AM
very nice, i like your bead

David DeCristoforo
12-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I really like the "little rim on the top" as well as the overall shape. The wood almost looks like marble.

David E Keller
12-12-2010, 11:48 AM
That's a handsome bowl. The bark inclusion and the rim detail are wonderful features. Very nice.

Mark Hubl
12-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Good lookin bowl Curt. The shape is very pleasing as well as the wood.

Ryan Baker
12-12-2010, 5:00 PM
Nice bowl. That sure is "swirly" for honey locust. I have been working with a lot of honey locust lately. It sure is a PITA to work with, but it's pretty when finished.

Jim Burr
12-12-2010, 7:42 PM
Holy cow Curt!!! That bowl has more happening than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest!! I love the finish...not to glossy. very well done sir!!

Roland Martin
12-12-2010, 9:00 PM
Great looking bowl, Curt. The mellow flow of the ogee shape and rim details are great!