PDA

View Full Version : Check out my new auger bit set

mark kosse
12-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Picked these up the other day. I've been trying to find out how old they are. Irwin was no help. I was thinking since it says "improved 1887 patent" and "sole manufacturer", it must be within the 20 years after the patent otherwise someone else may have jumped on the bandwagon. The inlays just say "old". Any ideas?

Johnny Kleso
12-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Thats an old set :)
I was thinking it was a Jennings set at first till I seen the image bigger..

Any pitting????
Most old carbon tool steels stuff gets very small black spots..

Jim Koepke
12-12-2010, 2:50 AM
Nice set, looks like pre-WW II if my guess is any good.

Most of the sets I see as being categorized as early 1950's have metal clips holding the bits.

Usually the patent date was no longer published on an item after 15-20 years, so that may also indicate they are before 1910.

While looking for information I found a similar set that has 13 bits.

jtk

Joshua Clark
12-13-2010, 11:11 PM
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say very late 1800s. It looks like all you're missing is that screwdriver bit. That is a fantastic set of bits!

Josh

Dan Andrews
12-14-2010, 5:59 PM
I also think that the patent dates being given are the key to the age of this very nice box of bits. 1887 to about 1907 does seem likely. The Contrasting segment used in construction of the lid is evidence in favor of older manufacture. By about 1925 tool evolution began to switch from producing the best and most attractive tool they could towards finding ways of cheapening them.

mark kosse
12-15-2010, 4:21 PM
No, A few small spots but really, in nice shape. The inlay is what makes me think they're old. You had to really like your product to take time to do that. Also, when was the last time you saw Ohio abbreviated with O.

The top is warped though.

I bought a vintage fly rod froma guy and told him I was more into old tools nowdays. He went into his garage and brought these out along with a set of Craftsman tap/dies that as far as I can tell is pre 1950 also.

Tom Vanzant
12-15-2010, 6:44 PM
Not only is Ohio abbreviated as O, but there is no 1-2 digit postal delivery zone, certainly no Zip code, and no telephone number. Thsy're old, probably pre-1900.
Good gloat.