PDA

View Full Version : My Portable Five Foot Earth Planner

Boyd Gathwright
01-03-2005, 4:12 PM
My Portable Five Foot Earth Planner

.... Not in my wildest dreams would I have thought that on January 02 of any year that I would be able to till the garden. Normally there is snow and temperatures are below freezing and the ground is as hard as a ROCK. We purposely did not turn the garden in this year for all the weeds and NOT wanting to use weed killers. So we waited for the first frost to do the job and so it did. Then the temperature climbed and stayed, the ground dried enough for several days. So yesterday was the day (60 degrees New Years day), before the predicted rain came. Before turning the earth in, I spread with the spreader on the tractor 10-10-10 fertilizer to enrich the soil for the spring planting. Normally, all this would have been done in the fall of the year but this is a good time to get the weeds and keep them down until after spring season starts.

.... Thanks for taking a peek at what goes into a little gardening ;)!

Boyd

Jim Becker
01-03-2005, 4:22 PM
Hey, what's wrong with that? It's a power tool, after all!! Very nice garden, Boyd...and the more organics you get tilled in, the better it gets!

Our garden is a fraction of the size of yours (two 16' long raised beds), but Dr. SWMBO does a fine job in extracting a lot of great stuff out of it...in fact, the yellow and orange carrots I sautéd tonight were harvested on Saturday! Between the compost and careful planting, things really grow well. It's so nice to have fresh! 'Can't wait to see your harvest again in 2005...

Lou Morrissette
01-03-2005, 4:55 PM
Great looking soil, Boyd. We've had very little frost on Cape Cod this year as well. Last week we had a nor'easter that dumped 18" of snow in my yard and today....nothing. Bare ground!:confused: Go figure. Looks like you could probably put some peas in already.:D

Lou