PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Ron Taylor
04-10-2003, 9:47 AM
Falling victim to a suggestion made on this forum last week, I ordered an Incra 5000 for the new Griz 1023z. It came in yesterday so last night was the put-together-and-test-it time.

I'd read the review and how-to on woodshopdemo.com, so was somewhat familiar with the assembly steps.

The box was battered a bit and the flimsey 3/4" styrofoam packing was demolished, but the contents were all in perfect condition and accounted for.

I followed John Lucas' suggestion by laying out the two tables and various parts on my bench exactly as pictured in the assembly instructions. This made for easy and accurate identification, inventory, and location when called for in the instructions.

I won't go into the details of the assembly since John has done a magnificent job on his website. His tutorial made the assembly very easy. I put the device together, adjusted and fine tuned it in just over an hour. This was with taking plenty of time to make certain that each part was perfect. Necessary in my opinion because the two table halves have to be cut after installation. A snafu could be disastrous. Without first studying John's site, it would have taken me considerably longer.

My test run was one shown in the sales oriented video that came with the Incra. They first cut a 12" board, then in succession, dialed in and cut 3", 4", and 5" boards. Stacking the three boards edge-wise, the overall height was compared to the 12 incher. I did the same. The match was perfect!

I am extremely impressed with the quality and workmanship in the Incra 5000. I tried several tests of set-up, breakdown, and re-setup to see if the advertised repeatability was true. In my opinion, it is absolute.

Mitering was quick, easy, and accurate to the nth degree.

My major regret is that today, I take off my computer systems analyst hat, lay down my woodworker's apron, and become Billy Big Rig for a week. Leaving about noon today for a run to the left coast on the Freightliner, so I won't get to do any real sawdust making on the Incra til about the 21st.

Yall be good, make a lot of sawdust, and I'll see ya on the flip-flop.