PDA

View Full Version : A Few Weekend Turnings

Nate Davey
12-11-2010, 9:39 PM
Well, I hesitate to post anything after the spectacular ewer that John posted......but somebody has too. :)

The first pic is a handle for my wife's lint remover. It's spalted holly. The beaded handle was an after thought and I didn't measure each one out just eyeballed them so they are not even. But my globes are getting rounder and I'm much more comfortable with my detail gouge.
The second picture is a "Harry Potter" Wand for a co-workers daughter, the wand is Osage and the handle is GOK, or God Only Knows. This wand is 9" long as I had 3 other longer ones come apart on me in various stages of turning.
Finally a square bowl from a scrap of Maple I had left over from resawing.
Comments and criticism appreciated.

John Keeton
12-11-2010, 9:45 PM
Nate, I sure like that wood in the lint remover handle!! Very nice, and good work on the beads - getting them all the same is tough. It might help to lay them out first, make the "v" cuts with a skew or tool of choice, and then roll them.

Neat wand, too. But, the prize goes to the bowl - very nice work on this one!

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2010, 9:49 PM
Real nice work on everything Nate! I really like the bowl/platter - nice form and I like the natural edges!

charlie knighton
12-12-2010, 11:08 AM
i like your square maple bowl, not sure if you have put any finish on it, but you might leave it as is

David E Keller
12-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Very cool... Who would have thunk to put a custom handle on a lint roller?:p Now I've got to go find our lint roller and pimp it out!

The bowl is really nice. The way you did the underside was a pleasant surprise for me.

Baxter Smith
12-12-2010, 5:26 PM
I like that bowl/platter. Leaving the bark makes a great accent to the light colored wood. Nice job on the underside as well. My brother in law gave me a small plain piece of maple from beside his camp that he thought I might be able to use. I did a small bowl to give him but its pretty plain. Something like this would be a lot nicer. May have to give it a try. Thanks for posting.

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2010, 5:52 PM
Really nice bowl/platter. I really like the NE. Wand is pretty cool.

Nate Davey
12-12-2010, 6:24 PM
Very cool... Who would have thunk to put a custom handle on a lint roller?:p Now I've got to go find our lint roller and pimp it out!

The bowl is really nice. The way you did the underside was a pleasant surprise for me.

Our "adorable" little dog is a shedder. We have this available for guest went they leave so they can de-hair. Can't have our guests using some common plastic lint remover, what would they say? :)