PDA

View Full Version : Can I change the type size/color

Joel Goodman
12-11-2010, 8:27 PM
Can I change the type size and color in the new Sawmill? It's much harder to read than it was previously. I don't like the colored type and it seems smaller.
Thanks

David Christopher
12-11-2010, 8:35 PM
I agree its much harder to read and the attachments show up as paperclips rather than thumbnails

Glenn Vaughn
12-11-2010, 8:50 PM
Can I change the type size and color in the new Sawmill? It's much harder to read than it was previously. I don't like the colored type and it seems smaller.
Thanks

+1

The theme may be fine for those in their 20's and 30'2 but when you get to where I am it is very eye straining.

There is a reason most print is black on white.

Doug Fries
12-11-2010, 9:29 PM
I found the font smaller as well. But if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel on it...simply hold the control key while you spin the mouse wheel to adjust the size of the type on your screen.

Hope this helps.

Dave MacArthur
12-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Also, a note on font size--if you increase the font size in Microsoft Internet Explorer, it also makes the page spread off the right side so you have to slide the view back and forth... a HUGE PAIN!!

However, if you use Firefox, you can just press CTRL + or CTRL - to change font size, and it DOESN'T make the page itself grow to the right. Thus, it's vastly better. This one ability and how it lets me read SMC is why I switched to Firefox finally.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Dave,

With Windows 7 and IE 8 it seems to work as you describe without pushing everything off the right side.

Norman Hitt
12-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Even after increasing the size, the print seems faded, like it is a "Copy" of an original that was typed using a worn out carbon paper for the copy, ie; some letters are dark like they should be while others or parts of them are really light.

Anil Kalagatla
12-12-2010, 12:50 AM
+1 for better contrast or the old style theme. The new style is rather hard to read for long periods of time; I don't know of a way to change the color scheme unfortunately.

Joel Goodman
12-12-2010, 1:04 AM
I have a Mac so the Windows fixes will not help me. I agree the type is no longer black and is not clear. I was hoping to find out a way to reset it back. I fervently hope that Sawmill Creek is not going the way of Knots which basically didn't survive it "new improved" format and has for all intents expired.

Paul Wunder
12-12-2010, 9:19 AM
Please.....Please....Please

One more Creeker who needs more contrast. Very difficult to read

Eric Somerville
12-12-2010, 9:49 AM
Another vote for more contrast and I am in my twenties so age has nothing to do with it.

Michael Wildt
12-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Terrible new format. Not all sw upgrades makes it better and this one is definitely not one of the better ones. Too much screen info lost due to fancy graphics and 'new lines' that are empty. Yeah, the contrast is not great either.

del schisler
12-12-2010, 10:14 AM
why didn't they leve it along ?? it was fine the way it was ?? I guess i don't have to come back. too bad good site now to hard to navagate ? to many click's to read. bye

Scott Shepherd
12-12-2010, 10:31 AM
why didn't they leve it along ?? it was fine the way it was ?? I guess i don't have to come back. too bad good site now to hard to navagate ? to many click's to read. bye

Or you could be patient and let them sort it all out. It's been 12 hours, give them a chance to sort through it all. Do you really think it's in their best interest to make a forum that's hard to read and people don't like?

Geez, have some patience.

Dan Friedrichs
12-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Yes, please, more contrast! I feel like all the colors are bland pastels, and the text is too small (specifically, user names are really small, now). Also, the "regular text" doesn't apear to be BLACK, but rather, dark grey, which is hard to read.

Joe McMahon
12-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I feel like Ray Charles with this color contrast. No mas, por favor, no mas!!!!

Keith Outten
12-12-2010, 11:19 AM
It will definately take some time for us to make all of the changes that we need to make, there are hundreds of things to do and they won't get done in a day. Aaron spent 19 hours straight yesterday working on the upgrade and getting the most important items fixed, the rest will be done on a priority basis so you will have to be patient.

This upgrade wasn't about just changing colors, don't judge the book by its cover. There were major changes that were done to the software and how everything works behind the scenes. We waited for over a year before we upgraded to vBulletin 4, it has to be done at some point even though we knew there would be a few that would not like some of the changes. Once all of the new features are accessible and Aaron has completed his work list then we can talk about changes that the majority prefer, we already know that we can't make everyone happy, we never have and we never will.

We cannot continue to run old software forever. We must move forward and offer new features in order to continue, the majority here have always accepted this and I expect they will continue to do so. Be patient and let us get the upgrade completed.

Alan Lightstone
12-12-2010, 12:05 PM
1 more vote for harder to read now. Really migraine inducing too.

Joel Goodman
12-12-2010, 2:04 PM
This upgrade wasn't about just changing colors, don't judge the book by its cover.

I think I speak for many of the folks visually challenged by the new format. We appreciate all the effort that goes into running Sawmill Creek but the typography choice is bad and I would think would be a very trivial fix -- adjust the default type color to black and go up a type size (as well as adjust the background color behind the type, so as to restore the contrast, if that was changed) --- some of the other issues with the IMHO overcomplicated layout are probably not so easy to fix. And a +1 on also increasing the name size.

Kent A Bathurst
12-12-2010, 3:15 PM
A "not very" long shot - if the look-and-feel had always been this way, I'd guess that we'd still have the same content, participation, and "ususal suspects" involved.

Looks to me like the first [big] step in what will be a path to a very solid transition and upgrade.

I'm good with it.

David Helm
12-12-2010, 3:29 PM
Since we are in a complaining mode, I really don't like the new "quick navigation" button. It has gone from quick (1 click) to slow (more clicks). Is there any way to fix that?

Larry Edgerton
12-12-2010, 4:02 PM
I am having a harder time reading it as well, not sure why?

Randy Klein
12-12-2010, 6:52 PM
I don't know what it is exactly, but the new theme makes my eyes wig out (technical term) when viewing the forums, but viewing the actual threads don't affect me. I can't tell if it's the colors, the envelope icons, or something else

David Fairfield
12-12-2010, 7:13 PM
I just logged into this thread to say I had a problem reading the low contrast fonts, but I see the point has already been addressed and I'm glad you'll be adjusting it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the work it takes to run a forum like this.

Dave

Scott Shepherd
12-12-2010, 7:16 PM
I don't know what it is exactly, but the new theme makes my eyes wig out (technical term) when viewing the forums, but viewing the actual threads don't affect me. I can't tell if it's the colors, the envelope icons, or something else

It's the colors. On the old forum, the background to the text was a shade of blue. Now it's white. It's so much contrast, it's hard on the eyes. With the light blue background, it was subtle, so less strenuous on the eyes. They'll fix it, I'm sure.

Larry Frank
12-12-2010, 7:42 PM
+1 on the type being more difficult to read.

I assume that there were "good" reasons for the changes. While I would rather that they stayed with the old format, I understand that sometimes you have to make changes or upgrades. It would be nice if they could do something with the color or font or something to make it easier to read.

Robert Chapman
12-12-2010, 8:11 PM
+1 on more contrast - the new format looks "pastel"

Bill Edwards(2)
12-13-2010, 7:49 AM
I also have had trouble adjusting to it visually.

I did finally notice read versus unread:

The red are unread and the green are read. (:confused:)

Myk Rian
12-13-2010, 9:49 AM
However, if you use Firefox, you can just press CTRL + or CTRL - to change font size, and it DOESN'T make the page itself grow to the right. Thus, it's vastly better. This one ability and how it lets me read SMC is why I switched to Firefox finally.
This works with Google Chrome as well.

As far as colors go, it needs more contrast. Being color blind makes this a huge pain to read.

Kent A Bathurst
12-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I might be the only guy that hasn't figured this out, but....
There are three colors for the envelopes on the left. Blue, Red, Grey.

These signal what????

Bill Edwards(2)
12-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I might be the only guy that hasn't figured this out, but....
There are three colors for the envelopes on the left. Blue, Red, Grey.

These signal what????

There are actually 4 colors and I have trouble between blue and grey or
red and pink.

Dave MacArthur
12-13-2010, 9:18 PM
LOL... I searched for an hour and read every FAQ and tech support post.... FINALLY found the "Key" to those envelopes sitting at the bottom of what I thought was every opened thread, but now I can't find it again! The green "you have posted in this thread" now tells you how many times you did so, which is nice. The whole "hot thread" thing is a bit disturbing... I find myself wondering why I'm not interested in those red ones that clearly everyone else is, but I just can't get worked up enough to talk about how HD is so much worse than mythical local hardware, tools aren't what they were, etc.
On the other hand, I can't resist a "dust collector help?" thread, or a Band Saw thread, or a "help wire my shop" thread, so maybe that's worse. ;)

Myk Rian
12-16-2010, 8:22 AM
Well, until there are color changes, I can't participate in SMC. Being color blind is bad enough. Being unable to see what threads I have read, and those with new messages, makes it all the worse. Please make contrast a priority.

It will definately take some time for us to make all of the changes that we need to make, there are hundreds of things to do and they won't get done in a day. Aaron spent 19 hours straight yesterday working on the upgrade and getting the most important items fixed, the rest will be done on a priority basis so you will have to be patient.

This upgrade wasn't about just changing colors, don't judge the book by its cover. There were major changes that were done to the software and how everything works behind the scenes. We waited for over a year before we upgraded to vBulletin 4, it has to be done at some point even though we knew there would be a few that would not like some of the changes. Once all of the new features are accessible and Aaron has completed his work list then we can talk about changes that the majority prefer, we already know that we can't make everyone happy, we never have and we never will.

We cannot continue to run old software forever. We must move forward and offer new features in order to continue, the majority here have always accepted this and I expect they will continue to do so. Be patient and let us get the upgrade completed.

Scott Donley
12-16-2010, 6:21 PM
. Being color blind is bad enough. Being unable to see what threads I have read, and those with new messages, makes it all the worse. Please make contrast a priority.Myc, I have the same problem, thats why I could never be an electrician ! I can live with the font but lack of contrast makes It REALLY hard to read.

John Neel
12-17-2010, 9:59 AM
+1 on greater contrast.

Myk Rian
12-31-2010, 9:09 AM

This seems to be such a hot topic, I would think you would push it to the front. There seems to be an awful lot of people having trouble with this.
Since I can't make heads or tails of the colors, and my membership is expiring in Jan. I'll have to wait till I contribute again.
I simply can't use the forums.