PDA

View Full Version : Another non paying job

Frank Corker
12-11-2010, 8:20 PM
Well this is something I made for a friend of mine, her Dad was in the army during WW2 and although he's still alive and kicking, his medals have been tucked away for a long time. So she wants to give him them where they could be on display and this is what I came up with.

2mm acrylic sheet, clear is at the front of the frame. 3mm acrylic holds the medals and has the engraving of his regimental insignia. A third piece of clear 2mm acrylic sits at the back of the frame which is lined with stick on flocking. The flocking is black to show off the engraving but an area surround just the four medals has been removed from the rear of the frame to allow people to view the reverse of the medal.

Well I was happy with the result, like most engravers, a picture which had been in focus would have been a bonus but I can't say it was that bad in the end.

Anthony Welch
12-11-2010, 8:36 PM
Very well done. I've been thinking of doing something similar for myself. You've given
me some ideas.

Anthony

Dee Gallo
12-11-2010, 8:42 PM
As always, a classy job combining the photo, insignia and medals, Frank. I like the color of the frame subtly repeated in the medals.

I can't say I like having to click on each picture to see them... is this the new way things will be? Or is that the way you posted them?

At any rate, this is sure to be treasured and honored. Kudos!

cheers, dee

Ross Lowry
12-11-2010, 8:52 PM
Very nice Frank I bet they love it.

Terry Swift
12-12-2010, 4:33 AM
Frank,

Those non-paying jobs just keep coming don't they. Used to have that issue quite a bit when I did I.T. work. When people know you know computers, it's like the phone doesn't stop ringing. LOL :D

Nice job and more ideas for us all to create more stuff for our biz.

Dave Russell Smith
12-12-2010, 5:06 AM
I can't say I like having to click on each picture to see them... is this the new way things will be? Or is that the way you posted them?

cheers, dee

Dee
Bottom left of each photo Last / Next took me a few seconds to find them they are not highlighted well

Andrea Weissenseel
12-12-2010, 7:20 AM
What should I say - great, as usual Frank!173547

Andrea

P.S. I always get in trouble, handling that stick-on flock :D

Frank Corker
12-12-2010, 7:49 AM
Yep the stick on flock is...well it's really sticky! It does look nice though on something like this and well worth the effort.
As for viewing the pictures Dee, I just uploaded them and that's how they came up, going to take a little getting used to and I really wish the first four items on the start page (you know the one's that never seem to go anywhere) were in a completely different colour or had a good seperating border. Must have clicked on them about five times which is a little irritating.

Viktor Voroncov
12-12-2010, 9:12 AM
Great job, Frank! I love this non standart combination of technics, materials!

Steve Clarkson
12-12-2010, 9:45 AM
Once again......REALLY nice item Frank......you're my inspiration! It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how you made it.....I'm a little slow!

I have no idea what stick on flocking is (if anyone in the US can enlighten me as to where I can buy it, I would appreciate it)......is it regular flocking that gets sprinkled onto a sticky surface or does it come in peel-n-stick sheets?

In any event.....did you glue the three sheets of acrylic together or are they "floating" inside the picture frame? Just wondering if the metals are now permanently sealed under acrylic! Is the flocking on the front or the back of that last sheet of acrylic?

Once again you impress me with your creativity......especially since I have none!

Gordon Kircher
12-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Beautiful work.

Dee Gallo
12-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Dee
Bottom left of each photo Last / Next took me a few seconds to find them they are not highlighted well

Nevermind, Dave, I guess it was just the new program settling in. At first, the pix were just links to click on but now they show as pix.

Scott Challoner
12-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Very nicely done Frank. Sure to be a family heirloom.

Martin Boekers
12-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Nice Frank, (Should we expect less?! :D)

I do similar things with Spouse's and Children's medals for retirements.
Very popular, cut an area for the medal then a engrave and mount the certificate

I to use the flocking, some is better than others as some the material is stiffer.
The more flexible, I use a roller to help.

There are some nice "suede like" matt boards I use from time to time.

I haven't got into the Twills and other heat press materials yet, but intend
start working with them this next year.

Keep up the good work!

Larry Bratton
12-12-2010, 2:26 PM
Good job Frank as usual.

Frank Corker
12-12-2010, 5:41 PM
I have no idea what stick on flocking is (if anyone in the US can enlighten me as to where I can buy it, I would appreciate it)......is it regular flocking that gets sprinkled onto a sticky surface or does it come in peel-n-stick sheets?

In any event.....did you glue the three sheets of acrylic together or are they "floating" inside the picture frame? Just wondering if the metals are now permanently sealed under acrylic! Is the flocking on the front or the back of that last sheet of acrylic?

Thanks everyone. Steve, it's actually on sticky backed paper. It feels 'velvety' to touch and the backing is REALLY sticky, once on it's a bugger to take off......my kind of material. The three sheets of acrylic are floating, this was in case he wants to go to the next reunion and he would'nt look so cool wearing this picture (lol). The back has an easy release so that the medals might be removed if necessary. All I did was make sure that the fit inside the frame was to the 'inth' of a millimetre and it all just pushed in with a tight fit.

Chuck Stone
12-13-2010, 7:26 AM

If you can find a Rockler or Woodcraft store near you, they have both types. (pricey, though)
You can get adhesive backed sheets or bags/cans with loose flocking in them. Spray your
adhesive and then dust or spray the flocking onto it. The sprayer is (basically) two cardboard
tubes blocked off at one end and with a small hole at the other end, one tube just fits
inside the other.

Greg Bednar
12-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Great as usual Frank.