PDA

View Full Version : Combination plane blades

Doug Pettit
12-11-2010, 7:45 PM
Can anyone help me with a Siegley No 2? I have one blade that was in the plane when I bought it. I see blades on ebay, among other places, that are for the Stanley 45's and 55's. Will these blades work with a Siegley? Any other options that you know of?

Thanks,
Doug

Jim Koepke
12-12-2010, 3:04 AM
Doug,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile does not show a location. If you are anywhere near me, I will gladly arrange for you to try some of the Stanley blades for the #45.

I am not familiar with the Siegley plane. Pictures always help. The things that would make a blade usable or non-usable would be the thickness and the adjusting notch.

As I recall, the Sargent adjuster had some extra area cut out. The Sargent blades might work in a Stanley #45, but I do not think the Stanley blades would work properly in the Sargent plane without modification.

As to the #55 blades, the #55 has a height adjustment on the moving skate. This allows it to use blades that are not of even height from side to side. Many of the blades that will work in the #55 will not work in the #45. Heck, they are difficult enough to get them to work in the #55.

Before you think about buying an adjustable skate, the makers beat you to it on that idea. They made the rod spacing different for the different planes.

jtk

Shlomo Hoffmann
12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I have both the Siegley #2 and a Stanley 45, each with dedicated blades... both blade types are 1/8" thick but the depth adjuster mechanism is quite different between the two. The Stanley 45 depth adjuster has a pin that engages the blade in a notch on top. The Siegley uses a "clutch" to grab the blade for depth adjustments and the blades are rectangular and "plain".

Stanley 45/55 rectangular blades can be used as-is on the Siegley (I tried, and they work...) - no modification needed. However, Stanley 45/55 blades with expanded cutting edge (resembling the letter "T") will not register/fit properly in the Siegley.

Side note - None of the original Siegley blades will work as-is in a 45/55 unless a notch is added to the blade for depth control...

Mel Miller
12-12-2010, 1:42 PM
I have owned several Siegley planes in the past, and it seems like the blades were a little longer than the 45 blades, but as stated earlier, they will work. Siegley blades show up on Ebay, but will cost a little more than the more common 45 blades.

Mel

Doug Pettit
12-12-2010, 5:40 PM
Thanks to all of you.

It sounds like the Siegley blades are still available if I look hard enough. Other than that, the simple rectangular 45 blades are my next best choice. I'll get a few and try my luck.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the information.
Doug