PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the Woodriver knuckle joint planes?

James Scheffler
12-11-2010, 7:44 PM
I was in Woodcraft today and they had a display of the latest generation of bench and block planes. They weren't available for use, but I picked them up, took lever caps off, played with adjusters, and so forth. They look really solid.

I recently got a Stanley No. 65 low angle block with the knuckle joint cap, and I love the way it feels in the hand. It feels way better than my 9-1/2. My 9-1/2 also has the annoying tendency for the lever cap to move on me unless the screw is down tight, but if the screw is tight enough to prevent movement then it's too tight for the adjuster. This is not so with the No. 65 - it just works perfectly every time.

So this has me lusting after the Woodriver standard angle block a little bit, though I really don't need to spend $89 on a new plane right now. Has anyone had a chance to try this one?

Jim S.

Paul Incognito
12-12-2010, 8:18 AM
I saw them. They are pretty sweet. The thing that got me was the cost, at $89 they're right on par with a like new 65 or 18 on ebay. I wish I'd have seen these before I bought my vintage 65.
I've wondered why LN hasn't made these. They make great block planes but I've always thought the cap tensioning wheel was kind of cheesy.
PI

Robert Culver
12-12-2010, 8:25 AM
I have seen them and like them but the price is kinda high on them. for a few more bucks you can get the real deal .they are nice I wouldnt mind one it I didnt already have two block planes......

Jim Koepke
12-12-2010, 11:22 AM
I recently got a Stanley No. 65 low angle block with the knuckle joint cap, and I love the way it feels in the hand. It feels way better than my 9-1/2. My 9-1/2 also has the annoying tendency for the lever cap to move on me unless the screw is down tight, but if the screw is tight enough to prevent movement then it's too tight for the adjuster. This is not so with the No. 65 - it just works perfectly every time.

My understanding is that it is always best to release the tension on the lever cap before adjusting block planes. Otherwise, the threads on the adjusters can be stressed and cause wear.

A different geometry is being used on bench planes with the Bailey adjuster that allows for adjusting with the lever cap tight.

I have not seen the Woodriver planes, but I do like my Stanley #65 with a knuckle joint cap.

jtk

Niels Cosman
12-12-2010, 11:28 AM
90 bucks isn't really that bad for a brand new plane (depending on how well it was made in the first place) it's $10 dollars cheaper than the new stanley's, $55 less than LV, $100 less than LN, $760 less than bridge city :)

I love my original 1920's 65 which i got for about 40 bucks. The plane is the most comfortable size and shape of any other block plane i have ever used (my LN is a close second).

I wonder if the blades are interchangeable? if they're similarly cheap, i'd definitely pick up a replacement.

James Scheffler
12-12-2010, 1:29 PM
My understanding is that it is always best to release the tension on the lever cap before adjusting block planes. Otherwise, the threads on the adjusters can be stressed and cause wear.

A different geometry is being used on bench planes with the Bailey adjuster that allows for adjusting with the lever cap tight.

I have not seen the Woodriver planes, but I do like my Stanley #65 with a knuckle joint cap.

jtk

I do loosen it to adjust - you really have to (at least with my particular plane). I just find it a little annoying. I know that the 9-1/2 adjustment mechanism with the vertical threaded post was used for decades, but to me it seems too prone to wearing out. I have an older one where the tooth that engages the slots in the blade was completely worn away, and it's just a paperweight now. The other type of adjuster is better, even though there is no lateral adjust feature.

Jim S.