PDA

View Full Version : Building Gloucester (Boat) Rocker

Mac McQuinn
12-11-2010, 7:05 PM
Has anyone built this rocker on plans offered by WoodenBoat magazine? Any tips on building? issues, etc?

Thanks,
Mac

Jim Creech
12-15-2010, 1:35 PM
Mac,
I checked this little rocker out and construction is about as simple as it gets. There should be no issues with assembly and WB plans are usually pretty thorough. Just make certain it is well sanded as splinters and little hands do not get on all that well.

russell lusthaus
12-15-2010, 4:20 PM
I have made the Jordan Boats wooden skiff as a baby crib. Plans from Woodenboat Mag. It was clinker built. Is this the one you are looking at? Plans show it as a rocker or hung from divots. I made the rocker.

If this is the one, I would be happy to answer any Q. Great project, the kids slept in it, and the mother absolutely loved it.

Mac McQuinn
12-15-2010, 4:57 PM
Russel,
I'm familiar with the Jordan Boats crib and the Gloucester Rocker isn't the same. It's more like a rocking horse although a small boat takes place of the horse. I received the plans the other day and getting ready to pick up wood for the project. Plans seem pretty basic w/ just a few (I'll work it out) details. I have some leftovers I'm trying to use up so this may end up as a bit of a hybrid in materials.

Thanks for posting,
Mac

Mac McQuinn
12-15-2010, 8:17 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the advice. It should be a fun piece. It's for my Granddaughter although not for Christmas. I have until mid February to get it done. I'll take some pics once I get started.

Mac

Mac,
I checked this little rocker out and construction is about as simple as it gets. There should be no issues with assembly and WB plans are usually pretty thorough. Just make certain it is well sanded as splinters and little hands do not get on all that well.

russell lusthaus
12-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds nice. Only advice I can offer would be that kids tend to be "born" sooner than we expect - so try and finish a little early. DAMHIKT.