PDA

View Full Version : Need gift ideas for my dad

Joe Jensen
12-10-2010, 10:44 PM
My dad is retired but very a very active WW and remodeler. Every gift from me is some tool. At least 3 nice gifts a year, and I've been doing this for 25 years so I'm running out of ideas. He has a full shop, all the Bosch 12V small tools, pretty much all hand held power tools. I don't think he has an oscillating tool, maybe the Bosch cordless? Any other cool tool ideas? He has a great sharpening system, tons of carving tools, one can never have too many clamps, but that's a boring gift?

:confused:

thanks...joe

Van Huskey
12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I am a big fan of hand tools for gifts, good ones last forever. Chisels or planes. Since he carves how about one of the new pocket carving knives from Flexcut, they have two out I think.

Matthew Sherman
12-10-2010, 11:55 PM
This is what I am getting for my dad this year. Not a tool, but he has a large car carrier for his '73 Roadrunner. You can't just move the trailer around by hand and this will come in handy because it protects the bumper and will guide the hitch into place.

http://www.amazon.com/DuraSafe-The-Coupler-Connect%C2%99/dp/B003DUK9H8

Russell Sansom
12-12-2010, 3:25 AM
Part of original post disappeared. It said:

FESTOOL! I think the track saw is amazing! It's the first tool in decades that surprised and delighted me with what it could do. Many people rave about the sanders. I don't sand much, so couldn't say. But Festool is definitely worth a look.
I also have the c12 portable drill ( comes in a systaner ). There is nothing like it. Shuts off ( with 3 beeps ) when it's out of power rather than lugging down and ruining the batteries. Comes with quick change chuck and hex head. Takes only a second to switch between screwdriver bit and drill.
Something interesting to shop for and always of use if the previous set is old and worn: a set of screwdrivers. Garret Wade has a couple cool looking sets near the back cover of their latest catalog. Old screwdrivers are a PITA to reshape. I recently had a brainstorm that worked out well. I threw out the 30 wrecked and worn out units and replaced them with one good set of 6. I still need another 10 or so for various things, but the old blades were making a mess of screw heads.

lowell holmes
12-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I ask for two Ray Iles pigsticker mortise chisels when queried about what I might want. Tools for Working Wood sells them.