View Full Version : Safety glasses

Jaze Derr
12-10-2010, 9:25 PM
I need some recommendations from people who aren't able to wear "off the shelf" safety glasses.

For one, they don't even pretend to protect from sawdust, and I can feel my eyes smarting for a day or so after some time in the shop.

I also have a few other things going against me:
small head! all of the safety glasses I've got are built for men's faces, and are much too big for me.
I wear Rx glasses, and they are a very strong prescription.

What I would like to find are a pair of glasses with padded foam around the rim, to seal out sawdust.

I can get safety glasses in "regular" frames, but not the wrap-around styles, my prescription is way too high for those.

Has anyone used the Rx inserts for safety goggles? Any other suggestions?

I like my sight, as bad as it is, and I'd like to keep it.

Bruce Page
12-10-2010, 9:33 PM
Jaze, you might need safety goggles rather than safety glasses. There are many to choose from but most are vented which might not help your irritation problem.

Jaze Derr
12-10-2010, 9:38 PM
Jaze, you might need safety goggles rather than safety glasses. There are many to choose from but most are vented which might not help your irritation problem.

That's what I've been leaning towards. But I'm having a hard time finding goggles that will accept my prescription, and wearing goggles OVER my glasses distorts my vision so much that I have an instant headache.

Bruce Page
12-10-2010, 9:53 PM
Prescription goggles could get expensive. Back in my machinist days, whenever I would need to use one of the big grinders, I would wear a pair of Uvex goggles over my glasses and never noticed any distortion problems. I’m not positive but I think these are the ones. Uvex Goggles (http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Classic%C2%AE-Safety-Goggles-Bacou-Dalloz%C2%AE/dp/B001DBIWYQ).

David Christopher
12-10-2010, 10:10 PM
see if these will work

http://www.rx-safety.com/store/index.php?cPath=47_170&osCsid=g7llemgevmeecatqf9l93pldq3

Thomas Canfield
12-10-2010, 10:18 PM
You might look here http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/goggles1.html

I have used the for bifocal safety glasses. It looks like you could send them your glasses frame size and possibly get a recommendation for some safety goggles.

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Your optometrist should be able to fit you with safety glasses. Unlike the one-size-fits-all safety glasses from the lumber yard, the ones at the optometrist are available in different sizes, so there's a better chance of being able to fit your head. The optometrist can also put corrective lenses in the glasses.

Matt Mackinnon
12-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Not trying to sound like I am preaching from a soap box, but it sounds like you are skirting the problem or not giving us enough information about what you are trying to do.

Safety glasses were never designed to protect against dust particles. They are there for shards or fast moving debris that would hit your face and get into your eyes.

If your problem is sawdust, then your solution should be more towards dust collection so that there is not the amount of dust in the air.

what sort of dust collection do you currently have? With your current CFM, do you have room to put in an open suction point towards where the dust is being created? Removing as much dust and debris from the source is the best form of protection for you, not only for your eyes, but if that much is getting into them, I hate to imagine how much your are breathing in unless you are wearing a full respirator all the time.

Just something to think about

Matt.

Steven DeMars
12-10-2010, 11:03 PM
I work in the petrochem industry & everybody wears safety glasses all the time.

Best place for safety glasses . . . WALMART Vision.

I get a complete pair for under a $100.00 . . .

Steve:)

Ronald Blue
12-10-2010, 11:03 PM
http://www.aosafetyglasses.com/prescription1.html This is the supplier that my employer uses. The prescription goggles at the bottom appear to be reasonable enough and a good possibility.

Rod Sheridan
12-12-2010, 9:26 AM
Not trying to sound like I am preaching from a soap box, but it sounds like you are skirting the problem or not giving us enough information about what you are trying to do.

Safety glasses were never designed to protect against dust particles. They are there for shards or fast moving debris that would hit your face and get into your eyes.

If your problem is sawdust, then your solution should be more towards dust collection so that there is not the amount of dust in the air.

what sort of dust collection do you currently have? With your current CFM, do you have room to put in an open suction point towards where the dust is being created? Removing as much dust and debris from the source is the best form of protection for you, not only for your eyes, but if that much is getting into them, I hate to imagine how much your are breathing in unless you are wearing a full respirator all the time.

Just something to think about

Matt.

I was going to say exactly what Matt said.

It sounds like your focus should be on a good dust collection system first if dust is a concern.

I wear prescription glasses, and safety over glasses in the shop without a problem.

If fit is a problem, or there are optical issues, your optometrist is the best source for solutions to your problem.

Fix the dust issue as well however, it's your health that's at stake...........Regards, Rod.

Cassandra Roads
12-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Jaze:

Another possibility is combine dust collecting with using a face shield. The dust collecting should remove, or at least greatly reduce, the problem of airborne dust and the face shield can then provide protection for flying debris.

Cassandra

Russell Sansom
12-12-2010, 1:02 PM
My eyes are irritated by almost everything in the shop. And I wear trifocals. The good quality UVEX goggles work really well for me, but I still come away with "something in my eye" on occasion. I don't have the luxury of dust collection everywhere in my shop, so I've tried the Trend AirPro. It's expensive. It's heavy. It's a little noisy. But it has cut way back on the eye ( and lung ) irritation

glenn bradley
12-12-2010, 2:04 PM
I wear prescription safety glasses. No doctor will put safety lenses in regular frames. If yours will, change doctors, now. You do need to pay for safety glasses frames (built very different from your regular frames. Mine have side shields that do a very good job. If your dust collection is inadequate, you might consider a prescription scuba mask :D

John Coloccia
12-12-2010, 2:26 PM
Hi Jaze:

Another possibility is combine dust collecting with using a face shield. The dust collecting should remove, or at least greatly reduce, the problem of airborne dust and the face shield can then provide protection for flying debris.

Cassandra

Yes, I was just about to say this. I can keep my eyes wide open without any fear that something's going to fly in from the sides. My next step, in fact, is to get one of those fresh air ones. I'd probably just wear it all the time in the shop. I find that when the faceshield is on, I completely forget about it in 5 minutes because it's so comfortable.

Chris Kennedy
12-12-2010, 2:42 PM
Jaze,

I have pretty lousy eyes myself, mostly from astigmatism. I have a pair of Wiley X safety glasses/goggles -- these ones:

http://www.safevision.net/sportglasses/SG-1%20files/SG-1%20lead.html

Only certain frames would hold my prescription, and these were one. They are a wraparound style that sits hard against your face with foam bumpers to help keep dust out and despite the picture, they have regular earpieces available so you don't have to wear them as goggles (which I find uncomfortable and prone to fogging up -- although Rain X usually will prevent that).

Hope that helps,

Chris

Steven Hsieh
12-12-2010, 2:46 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31PioklIJZL.jpg

I have been wearing this for couple months, it fits over my glasses, chips does not get in.
Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S3420X-Uvextreme-Anti-Fog-Neoprene/dp/B003U9VE1W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1292182985&sr=1-4

Justin Freund
12-12-2010, 3:09 PM
They do make goggles that are meant for blowing dust and dirt. Many are also impact rated. Look into Oakley MX or A frame series goggles. Oakleys have long been used in the military and have been proven in the desert. Contrary to reputation, the goggles are actually much more reasonably priced than most other Oakley stuff. ESS advancer V-12 goggles are also very nice as you can click the lenses open or closed, depending on whether you need filtration or ventilation.